Florida sloth tooth need help for ID

vietnamfossil

Hi everyone! Recently I have purchased these tooth but they just write as sloth.

The location is North Florida. Pleistocene period.

I know there are some sloth species there so could you help me to get a science name for these tooth? 
Thanks guys!

8DBB3EC5-7DD1-4664-92EA-2BC2ECF42E85.jpeg

43605E2D-F04E-456A-A2BD-DED60EE4D5E0.jpeg

Edited by vietnamfossil

We may need better photos to be able to identify them. These are quite small.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

We may need better photos to be able to identify them. These are quite small.

Hi , I have re-send big size photo. Thank you!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

16 hours ago, vietnamfossil said:

Hi everyone! Recently I have purchased these tooth but they just write as sloth.

The location is North Florida. Pleistocene period.

I know there are some sloth species there so could you help me to get a science name for these tooth? 
Thanks guys!

The net of the following discussion is that you either have Genus Megalonyx or Genus Paramylodon. If the time period is correctly stated as Pleistocene, your choice of sloth is limited to 3 or 4.  Megalonyx jeffersonii or Megalonyx leptostomas and Paramylodon harlani or Paramylodon garbani. Within a genus, the teeth are very consistent. I think you have Paramylodon teeth. Which of the 2 Paramylodon species likely depends mostly on size. Below the quote is a picture of Paramylodon garbani, followed by a picture of Megalonyx leptostomas EDIT reverse order Megalonyx 1st then Paramylodon END EDIT , from the website of the University of Florida,  Museum of Natural History. I would suggest you now have sufficient data to make your own determination.

Sloths belong to the group called Xenarthrans, formerly called Edentata, including anteaters, glyptodonts, armadillos and sloths.  Those from Florida evolved in South America.  Most fossil xenarthrans have no enamel on their teeth, but the teeth continued to grow throughout the life of the animal so as to compensate for this. There were basically three different types or genus of sloths in Florida, the mylodontids, the megalonychids, and the megatheres.  The first includes the Thinobastides in the Miocene, and the small Glossotherium chapadmalense and the larger Paramylodon  harlani.  These are ones which have the straight, more rounded in cross-section claw cores.
The second group are the megalonychids which arrived in the late Miocene and lasted until the late Pleistocene.  These start with the Pliometanastes  and grow progressively larger through M. curvidens, (early Pliocene), leptostomus, (late Pliocene-early Pleistocene) M. wheatleyi, and M. jeffersonii. These sloths had more curved, flat claw cores, as did the eremotheres.  In the teeth that follow, the smaller teeth are those of the earlier sloths.

The third type includes the enormous eremothere, megathere and the much smaller Nothrotheriops texanum.  These are relatively more scarce in Florida than the other two types.  The large Eremotherium teeth are often found split in half.  Indeed, all sloth teeth are fragile and need careful handling.

Fig12_BlancanMegalonyxLeptostomus.jpg

Fig14_BlancanParamylodonGarbani.jpg

Edited by Shellseeker
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"