PODIGGER

Had a pretty good day on the Peace River, FL yesterday. Wanted to get one more hunt in before the temps dropped to the point it was just too cold to stand in the river all day even with a wetsuit.  Find included deer teeth, camel/llama premolar, peccary tooth crown, gator teeth and the usual assorted shark teeth.  I also came up with what I believe is the hoof core pictured below.  After going through numerous photos on line and on the Forum I thought it was too big tube deer and too small to be bison, the shape didn't fit for horse.  That left me with camelid as a possibility.  I would greatly appreciate opinions on whether camelid hoof core is a good ID.  Thanks!

Specimen measures 44mm long x 41mm wide x 21mm high -

thumbnail.jpeg.06d80561a9e56ed1fa0ac1bc5ca7b0eb.jpeg

thumbnail-1.jpeg.198c7da0455e62d0180a486f92be37b2.jpeg

thumbnail-2.jpeg.3c17d182caa287f8ba952184e4395250.jpeg

thumbnail-3.jpeg.9f4cbd99b05e66ca21877e957b084109.jpeg

Thanks Harry.  Looks like I’m out of luck on the camelid.  

Anyone have another idea? Seems I remember @Shellseeker Jack posting something previously that also had a small hole near the proximal end that helped with it’s ID.

3 hours ago, PODIGGER said:

Thanks Harry.  Looks like I’m out of luck on the camelid.  

Anyone have another idea? Seems I remember @Shellseeker Jack posting something previously that also had a small hole near the proximal end that helped with it’s ID.

Sorry, Jim ... I do not recall the post.  I see "hoofcores" everywhere..  They are so hard to Identify, and so many things look similar....

Here is a previous post that Harry debunked...

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/118895-more-hoof-cores/

and my latest from a blancan site.  It seems like an unbroken fossil which has some of the correct characteristics,  but....

Text_Osteoderm.jpg.0622e81a3f1e4112928a3a139f524aa1.jpgOsteoderm2.thumb.jpg.596fdf9fae388de202ac6375bc4999ff.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks Harry. I did look at that photo layout in your album here on the Forum. I initially thought it was the match I was looking for but was hesitant because of the size difference.

Mine is 44mm and your photo shows a length of 57.7mm. I do see you noted that as a maximum length so with no other obvious choices I will call it Giant Tortoise.