Amber vs Polystyrene?

Mochaccino

Hello,

I acquired these pieces of "Burmese amber" of Myanmar on an auction site:

E47E016B-3B6D-4BCC-B77A-2173FD1E9C87.thumb.jpeg.8757805edbda82980e35e4ad08b9e0ca.jpeg

shipping from China. They have irregular, natural-looking inclusions such as tiny Diptera flies, wasps etc., and feel very lightweight and relatively warm to the touch. However, that fact that they ship from China made me nervous so I did some tests, and I think I'm down to Amber vs. Polystyrene for the following reasons:

1. I did the saltwater test. These pieces float in saturated saltwater, which to my understanding narrows it down to amber, copal and polystyrene.

2. I did the acetone test. Placed a drop on each, let them dry, placed another drop and wiped. They all seemed impervious, no tackiness. Afaik this rules out copal. Unless it also rules out polystyrene? I read that acetone dissolves styrofoam which has polystyrene (https://www.google.com/amp/s/astrocampschool.org/recycling/amp/), but I'm not sure if that applies here as this isn't exactly styrofoam.

So now I'm down to amber and polystyrene, which is a pretty specific comparison. I didn't do the hot needle+smell test as I don't want to potentially breathe in harmful material. If acetone doesn't rule out polystyrene does anyone know of a easy test to distinguish these two?

Thanks!

Edited by Mochaccino
  • Enjoyed 1

You can try a UV light, amber will glow a blue-green color.

• Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

1 hour ago, Top Trilo said:

You can try a UV light, amber will glow a blue-green color.

1 hour ago, Randyw said:

These appear to be amber to me but top trilo gave you the best and easiest way to be sure.

Thanks for the suggestions, managed to get ahold of a blacklight and they glow bright bluish-green. Looks like they're genuine amber.

C3C68E00-9FEC-444F-973F-54A0D31146D7.thumb.jpeg.0704b9db07c92ba7aab3f906a07191e6.jpeg

Edited by Mochaccino
  • Enjoyed 1

The fact that it feels warm to the touch is a good indication as well. Nice little pieces of Burmite. :Smiling:

• Thank You 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.