Dinosaur tail drag? Isle of Wight

Gideon

This cast came from just west of chilton chine on the Isle of Wight. Wealden early Cretaceous. 

the sandstone it comes from is found all over the beach in blocks and is riddled with foot casts of mainly iguanodons. Sauropods, crocodiles and theropods also known in this location.  

I have not seen anything similar to this in the area, and given the heavy dinoturbation of this particular sandstone layer I think there is a good chance this is part of a dinosaur or croc tail drag cast. 

I can’t see how it can be made by anything plant based or geological, but would be very interested in anyones opinion for or against my interpretation. 

I’ve packed it away now, but it’s roughly 10cm wide. 

1CB20F0D-2E0A-407A-9F89-C6E3620FB4B4.jpeg

4DCFA9CD-0E6D-4C3E-9531-8EC5A69A712F.jpeg

5B965E7D-C61C-44E8-BB9E-CF7E88936B52.jpeg

1651742A-428D-4FB5-9213-33A23D3F4E47.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Can it be a pinnidae bivalve remnant?

• Thank You 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I expect it’s too big. 10cm wide and looks like it would have been considerably longer but only have a short segment of it. Doesn’t seem to taper much. 

Striations caused by glacial transport?

• Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Dinosaur tail drag? Isle of Wight

Although it may not be possible to prove this as a tail trace, one could try to falsify the hypothesis and hope to fail.

I would expect a dragging trace to have really parallel groves, representing one scute or other structure each, no tapering, (although different depth of impression could explain some variation in the groove width. ) Deviations in any of the grooves should be visible in all grooves, if they represent a movement of the whole tail.

Best regards,

J

• I found this Informative 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

I'd say that a good place to start would be to compare this with tail drag marks of other animals that may have used their tails in a similar way to dinosaurs (i.e., outstretched and for balance), although crocodiles may also be a good place to start. Find some visual material for comparison, such as the below crocodile trackways with tail drag marks from Playa Ventanas in Costa Rica, as reported by Farlow et al. (2017; figure 4 and figure 7).

1702303618_PlayaVentanascrocodiletrackwaywithtaildragmarks.thumb.png.b232c3340310a0a10b7f8c0d3144bf8a.png1288506563_PlayaVentanasfainttrackwayandtaildragmarks.thumb.png.87dc57fa415570163753a4eeeb81251c.png

However, while finding you the above example, I also bumped into the below image (source), which shows the exact same wide and flat-bottomed depression with parallel furrows as does your specimen, and is said to be the tail drag mark of a crocodile. The tapering mentioned above may, in that case, be due to the undulating movement of the tail, a feature that can also be made out in the below drag mark. It's still doing to be difficult to defend such a position - but so it is with many isolated foot casts as well...

569055676_Crocodiletaildragmoabfossil.jpg.8aa8656a27091ad8fcde0bc1c9aff12a.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

• 3 weeks later...

My apologies for the late reply. 

I don’t think glacial transport could be a possibility here. Would not have been a factor at play. However, movement of an object like a log is feasible on a floodplain frequented by flooding events. 

the grooves are parallel to each other with a slight curve but remaining an equal distance between each groove. The apparent slight tapering looks to be an illusion caused by the erosion on one side and matrix covering the other side. 

sadly there is no way to link it directly with a specific trackway. However, there was a small iggy footprint in a separate rock within 1 meter of it on the beach in the same matrix, and another within 3 meters pictured below   

it’s going to be a hard theory to sell! But I like the possibility. Still open to any criticism or doubt though!

if my back can take the strain I’ll check with the dinosaur isle museum when im

next there. 

FA5FE6C0-8273-4803-AF8A-FCFC756DF2E9.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3