T.rex dentary tooth?

The_bro87

Hello! I recently got this tooth as a birthday present. It's a roughly .5" tyrannosaur tooth from the Hell Creek formation. I'm pretty confident this is a Tyrannosaurus tooth based on the very circular thick base, but I wanted to check in case it could possibly something else. Also, when I first looked at it I thought it was an anterior dentary tooth, but now I'm starting to think it may be a lateral dentary tooth. I was hoping someone could tell me roughly which position it would be in? I can provide any additional pictures. The tooth is very worn, and I circled both sets serrations so they would be easier to find. I think  my favorite thing about this tooth is how worn it is, because that means it was used a lot in life. Thanks in advance for any help!

IMG_4197.jpg

IMG_4201.jpg

IMG_4204.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

IMG_4209 (1).jpg

I checked the listing and all it said was hell creek. I just contacted the seller and asked if they have any more information, I’ll comment if they answer. 

The seller responded and said they got it from another collector that only said Hell Creek. Assuming that’s correct would that make this tooth T.rex? 

Without a locality how can you support it being Hell Creek.   Several formations in Montana other than HC that have similar teeth..

Yes if its HC its Trex

Thank you! I understand it might not be 100% but that’s the best I have to go off. Are there any ways to tell which formation a tooth might have come from? I believe this tooth has a little bit of sediment in the base if that could tell anything. 

There are better members to respond here, but my understanding is that, if it's from Hell Creek or Lance, it's T Rex (doesn't look nanotyrannus to me). If it's from Judith River or Two Medicine, it can't be T Rex (probably Daspletosaurus or Gorgosaurus).

Hell Creek + T Rex can be such a slam dunk ID (although certainly not always) , that I'd probably be less alarmed by county being unknown here. A really shady seller might be more likely to give you a false county than to be transparent that HC is all he/she knows.