Peace River, March 5th

Shellseeker

A couple of curious finds from yesterday:

First: A small osteoderm (33 x 25 mm) from a Glyptodon. The edges look like they have JUST been broken but looks are deceiving. The bottom edge is almost like a knife blade. I am curious on whether others have found/seem similar shape/size/edge and determined the placement of the osterderm on the edge of the shell.

Glyptodont_merge2.JPG.2fed927f9bd7bc629bd0118d82ae8424.JPG

IMG_4591.thumb.JPEG.2f416c892078a88dda72afab6966e670.JPEG

Second: What appears to be an Ungual, or toebone. There seems to be muscle/pressure marks similar to other unguals in the the 1st two photos and curious indentations (red lines) on the 3rd photo.

IMG_4609ce.jpg.7015fdec25b05d3317795c0fa0eeecf1.jpgIMG_4604.thumb.JPEG.79da685d6ec38bd2662386ce14afbc62.JPEGUngual_marked.JPG.92a33b2de79c81f3fbd421853a41d3dc.JPG

All suggestions appreciated.   Jack

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Harry Pristis said:

For comparison:

Thanks, Harry

I had searched TFF and looked at a number of Ungual requests for ID and saw this excellent picture. I did not have the flat Proximal ? end marked in red on my find and no obvious significant breakage.

Is there variation within the unguals of Hesperotestudo that would allow that difference? 

Ungual_marked.JPG.aed9046d9e98cb673cc6eced24b74db9.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hi Jack, 

I hope all is well, seems your burn healed, thankfully.  For the first, I wouldn’t rule out a shovel cutting it off.  I say that with every Meg frag I find, haha, and I found more than a handful this weekend unfortunately.

Rick

37 minutes ago, Family Fun said:

I say that with every Meg frag I find, haha, and I found more than a handful this weekend unfortunately.

What hurts the most is having both pieces of a fossil show up in the sieve. Jack

• I Agree 1