interesting cretaceous oddity

Jared C

It seems that every time I post in the fossil ID lately, it's something my friends found when they were with me - brand new eyes are really good at avoiding the "routine" we get into when hunting, and they produce all sorts of crazy cool finds as a result. Here are some field photos of something I suspect is fish scales - I can ask her for better photos if needed.

Ozan formation, mid-campanian of the cretaceous, Texas

IMG-7280.thumb.jpg.f54dc58ac901ba467bd77a94ec5b369a.jpg

IMG-7281.thumb.jpg.9f22182c12cc8ad062d2af38708f104d.jpg

Here's a side angle I took so that the ridge is more evident:

IMG-7282.thumb.jpg.3985bbd79a0ce77d8d1004428825bbc3.jpg

thoughts?

• Enjoyed 6

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Looks an awful lot like shark cartilage. Cool find! Here's a modern example, though the prisms may be a bit smaller:

IMG_1696.thumb.jpeg.2bbe6deec16a4f4c9515c8ee87fa283d.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 4

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

That’s it: shark cartilage. See piece from the Ozan Fm. in the North Sulpher River.

• I found this Informative 7

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Yup. That's where my thoughts went as well. Though I've never found any preserved cartilage, I have learned about it here on the forum so I'll recognize it when (and if) I ever see some.

Very cool!

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

I wouldn't restrict it to only sharks: sawskates and (I'm pretty sure) rays and chimaeroids also have prismatic cartilage. Excellent find!

• I found this Informative 4