digit

The Florida Museum of Natural History (FLMNH) at the UF campus in Gainesville, FL is presently running an exhibit called Fantastic Fossils at the display museum on campus (where the butterfly enclosure is located). There is a variety of interesting fossils in the exhibit but the most interesting part (though I'm biased) is the "live lab" where visitors can watch the paleontologists, students, and volunteers (like me and Tammy) do our work. I'm presently prepping a large rhino skull (Teleoceras n. sp.) from the Montbrook site. At some point in time we're going to get a large flatscreen hooked up to the digital microscope camera and I'll be picking matrix on the big screen.

Jonathan Block Curator of Vertebrate Paleontology at the FLMNH was over in Jacksonville, FL this morning for the morning broadcast of their local news (WJXT). The host was predictably upbeat and chatty (verging on geeking out on fossils) but Jonathan did manage to get his message across and show some interesting specimens from the Montbrook site.

My friend in Jacksonville sent me the YouTube link after he watched this on this TV this morning. The picture that opens this segment had him laughing (made me smirk as well). That goofy image of me has been getting a lot of use. :P

Anybody in the area is invited to stop by and see the Fantastic Fossils exhibit. It's open 7 days a week during the normal museum hours.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/exhibits/fantastic-fossils/

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 9