Fly from China

rocket

We have a nice fliy in our collection, coming from lower cretaceous of Liaoning-Region / CN.

Really from an old collection..., got it from a dealer who importet it around 1980.

I am a bit unsure what it is..., think it might be a plecoptera, but.. Does someone has a name for it?

thanks

5694_Fliege_1200.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I suppose I should elucidate the reason why I think it compares favorably with the Raphidioptera (snake flies). Here's my interpretation:

5694_Fliege_1200.thumb.jpg.5ad45ca9ceebbb7420d57ce11fa9f7ae.jpg.4ff1e600cdd9a7790c3b5f8ac1610599.jpg

1. There is a prominent pterostigma. Consistent with many orders, but definitely very prominent amongst the specimens from the Raphidioptera from that locality. 

2. Large costal-subcostal cells that terminate at the pterostigma where the subcostal vein merges with the costal vein. Again, very consistent with the snake flies.

Lebanoraphidia nana sp.n., reconstructed venation of fore- and hind... |  Download Scientific Diagram

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Lebanoraphidia-nana-spn-reconstructed-venation-of-fore-and-hind-wing-with-a-revised_fig1_233496530

3. It has what I'm interpreting as an elongated prothorax, the "snake neck."

However, I could be wrong and the resident insect experts may have an alternate interpretation. 

• I found this Informative 1

Sorry, my grandfather was an entomologist, but I don't know much about insects. I usually search Drawwing.org first to see if I can find a similar wing pattern. Once I have narrowed down the family or order I continue to search the literature. This takes a long time and is tedious, but usually successful. An entomologist would of course recognize it much faster.
Unfortunately in your piece all four wings are on top of each other and I have difficulties to assign the veining.

I have too little clue.

• I found this Informative 1

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

On 5/17/2022 at 8:26 PM, Crusty_Crab said:

I suppose I should elucidate the reason why I think it compares favorably with the Raphidioptera (snake flies). Here's my interpretation:

5694_Fliege_1200.thumb.jpg.5ad45ca9ceebbb7420d57ce11fa9f7ae.jpg.4ff1e600cdd9a7790c3b5f8ac1610599.jpg

1. There is a prominent pterostigma. Consistent with many orders, but definitely very prominent amongst the specimens from the Raphidioptera from that locality. 

2. Large costal-subcostal cells that terminate at the pterostigma where the subcostal vein merges with the costal vein. Again, very consistent with the snake flies.

Lebanoraphidia nana sp.n., reconstructed venation of fore- and hind... |  Download Scientific Diagram

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Lebanoraphidia-nana-spn-reconstructed-venation-of-fore-and-hind-wing-with-a-revised_fig1_233496530

3. It has what I'm interpreting as an elongated prothorax, the "snake neck."

However, I could be wrong and the resident insect experts may have an alternate interpretation. 

I'm nearly finished with my Master's in entomology and I agree with @Crusty_Crab's rationale here. Take that with a grain of salt, as I'm still a novice when it comes to fossil ID, but it looks like a snakefly to me.

• Thank You 1