Western Wi Fossil?

diltsify

Hello, 

We found this in western Wisconsin in a dry run.  We're thinking possibly some kind of coral?

Complete N00b here :D 

The whole piece is about 5.5" long, the striated part that we believe is fossil piece is approx 1 inch long. 

Thank you so much for your help! 

IMG_0424.thumb.JPG.822bfed610bc63eb12f3dfd92bc90aad.JPGIMG_0425.thumb.JPG.cf72635b7e1576781783df51163b11d0.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

I think, you're right. It looks there are coral remains in a silica rich material (as chert).

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Looks like a broken rugose corallite to my eye.

I’d also take a closer look at this little section here. Maybe another coral fossil peaking out? A colonial coral with smaller corallites perhaps?

AED7CF52-D4DA-40BC-BDFA-16932DFD44F9.thumb.jpeg.2264bc315357e850863cedcd28902fea.jpeg

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thanks folks! 

11 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Looks like a broken rugose corallite to my eye.

I’d also take a closer look at this little section here. Maybe another coral fossil peaking out? A colonial coral with smaller corallites perhaps?

AED7CF52-D4DA-40BC-BDFA-16932DFD44F9.thumb.jpeg.2264bc315357e850863cedcd28902fea.jpeg

I wondered if that was a second piece or something. Thank you so much!! 

17 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I think, you're right. It looks there are coral remains in a silica rich material (as chert).

Thank you !! 

Definitely rugose!

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

8 hours ago, diltsify said:

I wondered if that was a second piece or something. Thank you so much!! 

You are very welcome. I’m always glad to help! :)

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)