US Midwestern Ordovician fossils - need info

Wrangellian

I recently acquired this little lot of Ordovician fossils but the info I received was somewhat lacking and mixed up. I hate to ask this because I feel like I should have gotten all the info to begin with, and having not gotten it, I figured I would have no trouble piecing it together. I think I have gotten past the spelling mistakes and such but I am stuck at this point....  Could anyone check to see if the info I have on these is correct, and maybe narrow down the locations, and tell me which subspecies of Vinlandostrophia is which?

I wouldn't be surprised if the original collector is a member here and might recognize the fossils and the cat #s...

DSCN8816-ed.thumb.jpg.550de4770edf7ea215b735b243577fc7.jpg

The info as I have it is as follows:

1. Snail: Cyclonema sp. (what species? is it known?)

Richmondian, Liberty Fm

SW Ohio (what location?)

2. Coral (encrusting a brachiopod): Protaraea sp. (what species? I'll try for closer shots if needed but I am lacking my good camera + macro lens)

Richmondian (uppermost), Whitewater Fm.

SE Indiana (what location?)

3. Coral, Grewingkia sp. (canadensis?)

Richmondian, Whitewater Fm.

SE Indiana (same location as 2, I assume)

4. Orthocone, Treptoceras sp.

Cincinnatian: Edenian, Kope Fm.

SW Ohio (what location?)

5. Brach, Hebertella occidentalis

Cincinnatian: Maysvillian

Mt. Auburn Fm (member of Grant Lake Fm?)

N. Kentucky (what location?)

6 and 7 are Vinlandostrophia ponderosa, one is supposedly subspecies ponderosa and the other auburnensis but not sure which is which.

The info I received had Bellevue as the formation for the auburnensis but I gather that subspecies only occurs in the Mt Auburn mbr, no? (Location, N. Kentucky)

The V. ponderosa ponderosa is said to be from the Corryville Mbr of Grant Lake Fm, N. Kentucky.

Here are the Vinlandostrophias from multiple angles:

Vinlando.thumb.jpg.dbfab6bffb12d19d68069cbe74fed35f.jpg

Edited by Wrangellian

Try this from the Dry Dredgers to help with the subspecies of the V. ponderosa. It looks like the main difference is the relative size of the interarea to the shell width.

Kind of looks both are the auburnensis variety. Let the locals confirm.

http://drydredgers.org/brachplaty.htm

See figure 6:

https://etd.ohiolink.edu/apexprod/rws_etd/send_file/send?accession=ohiou1243010764&disposition=inline

http://www.drydredgers.com/fieldtrips/trip200704p3.htm

6C69628D-BB37-4287-B7BF-EFF095CE319F.jpeg

BBF0AD5A-87B9-4E23-81F2-0C0445FF96AD.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

As far as the more specific location info you were asking for, that could realistically only come from the collector.  There are literally hundreds of sites in SW Ohio, SE Indiana and northern Kentucky where one could collect specimens such as these.  Cyclonema is a common gastropod throughout the section and there are at least three species: C. bilix has three orders of spiral lirae, C. inflatum has two and C. gracile has one.  I can't see your specimen well enough to tell.

According to Elias (1983) all Ordovician horn corals in the Cincinnati area are either Grewingkia canadensis or Streptolasma divaricans.  The main difference is in the septa.

Here is another great link to help you differentiate the VinlandostrophiaVinlandostrophia ponderosa (uky.edu)   

fossil-month-07-2018-vinlandstrophia-4.jpg

Thanks both. I agree there isn't much different between the two Vin specimens but the collector seemed to think there was. I wonder who that might have been...

I need to get my lens fixed or a new one + macro lens, then I can post closer pics of the snail and anything else.