ID: Ankylosaur Dermal Scute?

JoeS

Hi all, I saw this interesting specimen online.

It is labeled as Ankylosaur dermal scute, was found in the Hell Creek Fm., Hill County, Montana. Size is 4,8 cm x 3,2 cm (1.88" x 1.26").

These are the pictures provided:

cretaceous-ankylosaur-dermal-scute-from-the-hell-creek-formation-montana-usa-sku-v4080-denversaurus-cf-schlessmani-p6520-18769_zoom.jpg.8ed2b0d08481b0eb275a52dc49a5d187.jpgcretaceous-ankylosaur-dermal-scute-from-the-hell-creek-formation-montana-usa-sku-v4080-denversaurus-cf-schlessmani-p6520-18768_zoom.thumb.jpg.defb0227972faccd9a0a0188f1f5c0c4.jpg

What strikes me about this specimen is the shape of the bony base and the grained surface.

My knowledge about osteoderms is rather limited, so I was wondering if anyone can support or refine the given ID?

The only image I found so far that resembles that shape, as opposed to the flat sided scutes, is that of an thoracic osteoderm (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/276289070_Nuevas_evidencias_de_dinosaurios_de_la_Formacion_Puerto_Yerua_Cretacico_Provincia_de_Entre_Rios_Argentina):

Figura-2-Osteodermo-toracico-de-ankilosaurio-CICyTTP-R-1-3-Ankylosaur-thoracic.png.f2fdfdba0c25decc99bbc3ad6fa48538.png

Thank you for your time and help ;)

Edited by JoeS
typos

First if it was found in Hill County its from the Judith River Formation not Hell Creek.  Why locality is very important.

I'm more inclined to see a skull section with nodes from some Pachycephalosaurid given how thick it is and spongy looking.

• I found this Informative 1

Indeed, yes it says Hill County twice in the description.

The nodes were putting me off as well - thanks for your quick reply @Troodon - much appreciated.

Edited by JoeS
missing link