Tiny fossil bone ID

diginupbones

It is a toebone....phalanx

Not saying one way or the other but TFF has lots of threads on various toebones...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

18 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

It is a toebone....phalanx

Jack, I’m not seeing toe bone here. I have lots of toe bones in my collection and none of them are shaped like this with that little spur on the side. Do you have an example of one with a similar shape that makes you think this is phalanx? I’m getting more of a bird or reptile feel from this. Thanks

2 hours ago, diginupbones said:

Jack, I’m not seeing toe bone here. I have lots of toe bones in my collection and none of them are shaped like this with that little spur on the side. Do you have an example of one with a similar shape that makes you think this is phalanx? I’m getting more of a bird or reptile feel from this. Thanks

On 7/30/2022 at 9:01 AM, diginupbones said:

Hoping to get this narrowed down a little bit as to what critter this came from. Found in north of Central Nebraska. Miocene

Most of my insights are questionable,  since I am unfamiliar with fauna from the Nebraska Miocene. However, like you I have seen a lot of toe bones, mostly plio_pleistocene from Florida.

1) From your last 2 photos, I think the bone is mostly complete , about 45 mm in length. That is about the same length as the bones in the thread I referenced. I start with the speculation it is a toebone...

2) In looking at the proximal end, it has some similarities other toebones I have seen.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/103732-possibly-predator/

Because I point to a thread that describes a jaguar or armadillo toe bone, does not imply you  have a jaguar or armadillo toe bone.  Just that I saw a similar characteristic.

975317646_Picture2044crop.jpg.4ee20d6037acb4245f5d62b28f68fb53.jpg

3) Finally, I thought "jiggling" your ID request might get others to take a 2nd look.

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

Most of my insights are questionable,  since I am unfamiliar with fauna from the Nebraska Miocene. However, like you I have seen a lot of toe bones, mostly plio_pleistocene from Florida.

1) From your last 2 photos, I think the bone is mostly complete , about 45 mm in length. That is about the same length as the bones in the thread I referenced. I start with the speculation it is a toebone...

2) In looking at the proximal end, it has some similarities other toebones I have seen.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/103732-possibly-predator/

Because I point to a thread that describes a jaguar or armadillo toe bone, does not imply you  have a jaguar or armadillo toe bone.  Just that I saw a similar characteristic.

975317646_Picture2044crop.jpg.4ee20d6037acb4245f5d62b28f68fb53.jpg

3) Finally, I thought "jiggling" your ID request might get others to take a 2nd look.

Thanks Jack, I was trying to word my last post so it wouldn’t come across like I didn’t appreciate your help so I hope you didn’t take it that way. You’ve helped me out on a lot of IDs in the past and I’m always thankful. Just trying to throw out some more possibilities. Here’s a couple of more views of the ends that might help. 
AE7CFA43-D4C5-4824-AD61-78DC6FABC2C6.thumb.jpeg.1ed4439104b1bb5816feb1dc9501a2bf.jpegF88599BF-B3A4-4C8C-B80A-A43659419BEC.thumb.jpeg.72b98eb3a1e59829734562356e22a4e9.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Lorne Ledger said:

it most closely matches a canid proximal scapula - something like a red fox

Very cool! Thanks for taking the time to look that up.

• Enjoyed 1