Curiosity is killing this cat!

Aussieopal

Hi everyone,

For a week straight I have been searching what the heck a guys trace fossil on Facebook may be...

He says he found it in Bradford on Avon west Wiltshire South West England.

When I google search his images I keep getting trilobites, bivalves and brachiopods come up but it really doesn't look like any of these that I have seen anywhere.

In over a week he hasn't received any suggestions other then hydnoceras but again it is nothing like any I can find and doesn't seem to be of the right time period. 

It's really starting to annoy the Aquarian in me! Whom can't stand unanswered questions! :Confused:

I have attached a pic of they only 2 things that I can find that resemble the imprint left in his what appears to be sandstone or similar rock... as I don't want to use his images without his permission, I did suggest this site much to the amusement and dislike of the Facebook page admin which is quiet sad considering he has had only that 1 reply of hydnoceras.

With the shark fin I have added the "spines" to give you a general idea of the overall imprint as I said it is quiet unique and I have searched for a week straight to find anything even similar to what he has.

The second photo is to a similar shape and pattern etc as the fossil in question is more concave than flat.

In general it looks like a croc tail imprint with a fin/sail 

It is wider at 1 end and tappers to a tip and has approximately 11 dots horizontally and 15 spike impressions that join up to the dots the fossil itself is  approximately 8cm long by possibly 6cm wide.

I know this is a long shot but it's driving me crazy :coffee::look:

Kind Regards..

The annoying Aussie 

IMG_20220824_234039.jpg

IMG_20220824_234233.jpg

With only one view of the second piece, it looks similar to Trigonia.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

@JohnJ Oh wow you are a genius!! It has to be a trigonia costata!! Thank you so very much for answering my brain numbing question :)

you have made my week!! 

Screenshot_2022-08-25-00-36-38-01_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Edited by Aussieopal
  • Enjoyed 1

The second image you are showing us in your original post is of a bivalve belonging to the order Trigonioida, but belongs rather to the genus Myophorella sp.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

@Ludwigia The fossil in question is only similar to the first bivalve that is why it had me so stumped.

the second picture shows that croc tail shape I am referring to.

Sorry I have been extremely confusing... But we got there in the end.

I just didn't want to use the man's photos without his permission so I was trying to give you guys a visual interpretation. As terrible as it was :headscratch:

3 hours ago, Aussieopal said:

I have attached a pic of they only 2 things that I can find that resemble the imprint left in his what appears to be sandstone or similar rock... as I don't want to use his images without his permission, I did suggest this site much to the amusement and dislike of the Facebook page admin which is quiet sad considering he has had only that 1 reply of hydnoceras.

Why don’t you include a link to the part of Facebook where this fossils are. Our Facebook members might be able to give a better ID. It is difficult to ID a fossil based on another fossil that looks similar. You might be able to show us the photos of the actual fossils based on fair use of photos as described in the US copyright laws.

https://library.owu.edu/Images/Images_FairUse

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

@DPS Ammonite ok, because it is only for educational purposes surely no-one will get upset with me so here is the link to the Facebook post 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/boneandfossilid/permalink/5353263041454089/

It will be nice to know if I was able to work it out with the help of @JohnJ even if it was through extreme confusion.

this little aquarian slept much better last night without some unknown fossil  bouncing around in my dreams!!

The link goes to a private facebook group page. Gotta join the group to actually view the fossil.

• Thank You 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Ok I will screenshot some images and post it so you guys can compare.

This rock does seem to contain more than just this trace but I was only interested in this large one.

Warning his photos are quiet blurred.

Thank you for the interest and experienced input my brain really appreciates it very much even though it isn't even my fossil... 

Photos sourced from Facebook bones and fossil id page.

Screenshot_2022-08-25-13-38-06-445~2.jpeg

Screenshot_2022-08-25-13-37-40-836~2.jpeg

Screenshot_2022-08-25-13-38-32-470~2.jpeg

Screenshot_2022-08-25-13-38-54-932~2.jpeg

Edited by Aussieopal
  • Enjoyed 1

13 hours ago, Aussieopal said:

Screenshot_2022-08-25-00-36-38-01_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

This looks really close to the fossil on Facebook. The one on Facebook is an external mold. You provided this photo; what was it called: genus and species?

I hope that you let the poster on Facebook know that we give quality second opinions.

Edited by DPS Ammonite

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Here is a similar one posted on the Forum by Ludwigia. Maybe he can verify what it is. @Ludwigia

A side note, Ludwigia’s Trigonia is so much nicer than the Trigonia like steinkerns that litter North Texas.

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Aussieopal said:

Anxiously awaiting what @Ludwigia has to say...

I would agree that this looks like an impression from T.costata, although the range of this genus spans the Paleozoic, Mesozoic and into the Paleocene, so it would be necessary for the absolute certainty of the species that the stratigraphical occurrence could be pinned down, since many of these species (over 40 of them) look extremely similar to each other. T.costata ranges from the Toarcian to the Callovian.

• I found this Informative 2

@Ludwigia thank you so very much! The knowledge you guys have astounds me!

He did say he found it in Bradford on avon, bath border, west Wiltshire, South West England? if that helps at all as I am not familiar with England what so ever.

Thank you so very much again you have all really set my curious mind at ease! 

• Thank You 1

4 minutes ago, Aussieopal said:

if that helps at all as I am not familiar with England what so ever.

All you need to do is to google Bradford on Avon geology in order to find out that the stratigraphy is early to middle Jurassic, so the chances of it being a T.costata are very good.

• Thank You 1

Wow! Thank you! I was leaning toward Jurassic period during my searching but I am such a newbie dummy that I wasn't confident.

I really appreciate everyone's time and knowledge thank you again until the next curiosity :look:

• Thank You 1