Restoring Fossil Fish

Goldfinger

Hello

There's an unrestored phareodus fish fossil I'm thinking about purchasing.

How difficult is it to restore these and what do they use to highlight them?

I'm a very patient guy and already have the tools needed. Just not sure to to go about the highlight process.

Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the Fossil Forum!  We are glad you found us.

What do you mean by "restoring"?   Usually "preparing" or "prepping" refers to removing rock to expose a fossil, which also often involves some gluing or applying a consolidant to stabilize the specimen.  "Restoring" refers to adding back missing pieces, for example by adding filler and sculpting/painting it to look like the authentic fragments so a fragmentary fossil looks like it is complete.  Which process are you asking about? 

Don

Thanks for the reply.

I'm mainly talking about applying the "paint" or whatever they use to highlight the fossil. The fossil has been prepped and all it needs is the highlights.

It's being sold in it's natural state.

43 minutes ago, Goldfinger said:

Thanks for the reply.

I'm mainly talking about applying the "paint" or whatever they use to highlight the fossil. The fossil has been prepped and all it needs is the highlights.

It's being sold in it's natural state.

If you post a photo of it we can see what needs doing and better advise you of the process.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

38 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

If you post a photo of it we can see what needs doing and better advise you of the process.

Screenshot_20220830-111414.jpg

Cropped and brightened:

Screenshot_20220830-111414.jpg.ae218b924a56b15b6b7c56e45786825d.jpg

Not sure why you would want to paint this one.

Looks fine the way it is.

But if you really want to, the choice is yours.

I would touch up the dings in the body, and maybe extend the fin rays where they have been inadvertently removed.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

6 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Not sure why you would want to paint this one.

Looks fine the way it is.

+1 I agree. Whoever prepared this did a really good job and I would display it as is in my collection if I had one like it.maybe a coat of paraloid to protect it if it isn't already but that's all.

Edited by Randyw
  • I Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Randyw said:

+1 I agree. Whoever prepared this did a really good job and I would display it as is in my collection if I had one like it.maybe a coat of paraloid to protect it if it isn't already but that's all.

What is paraloid?

33 minutes ago, Goldfinger said:

What is paraloid?

It's a plastic that is dissolved in either acetone or methyl alcohol and depending on how thick or thin you make the solution can be used to adhere or consolidate fossils that would otherwise fall apart or turn to dust because of their "crumbly" nature. In other words you soak them with the stuff to hold it together.

By the way, the fish fossil you have needs no further help of any kind. It's just fine as it is and attempts to enhance the way it looks will do more damage than good. It's a very nice Phareodus and you don't want to take a chance and mess it up. Leave it as-is.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

13 hours ago, Goldfinger said:

all it needs is the highlights

I have to ask why you think it "needs" such touch-ups? In many cases a fossil being restored or reconstructed significantly detracts from its value. Many fossil collectors consider natural as best and would much rather have pieces or incomplete natural material than something fabricated to look more complete. I personally take a more extreme stance in that any amount of restoration to a specimen is straight-up fakery and just ruins its value as a fossil, turning it into a man-made art project instead. Are you just looking for a pretty-looking display piece, regardless of whether it's genuine or faked? If you're wanting to try your hand at restoration and have no experience, at the very least I wouldn't do it on this one. Use a cheap, poorly-preserved piece instead for practice.

• I Agree 1