U-dig box of shipped shale

Des1

I bought a box of shale from U-dig for my family to get some trilobites. This the 40lb box.

Posting pictures for others to know how it comes.

The shale is carefully packaged in a large flat rate box. The shale on the top shows trilobite fossils as soon as paper is uncovered.

I am happy with the shipment. Definitely should be enough triolobites for the whole family.

16635277849103723840620790712637.jpg

16635278825034129116491951147552.jpg

16635279470105092607457141797396.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 3

We got some trilobites in shale that they cleaned for us and rocks that need to be split. I really appreciate that they guarantee us some.

16635289753235905583483129451373.jpg

16635290647651047169216597341862.jpg

• Enjoyed 5

The Wheeler Shale is fun to hunt for trilobites. If you ever have a chance to visit Delta, UT  (only about 2 hours driving from Salt Lake City) I heartily recommend hunting out in the actual quarry--a really memorably experience.

Nice to be able to have a box of the Wheeler sent to you so you can fossil hunt at home. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1

I’ve contemplated ordering a U-dig box in the past. It’s good to see what you get with an order. Thanks for posting! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thanks for posting!  I have been wanting to get out to that quarry for several years, but havent made it yet.  I was contemplating ordering a box from them.  Its certainly cheaper than a 4 day round trip drive + quarry days + hotels

• I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I’m glad you got a good batch! Can’t wait to see what you end up finding! Good luck! I got a box from them a couple years back but i was disappointed. You’ve got more trilobites showing already then i found in my entire batch. But i’ve seen a lot of good batches from pictures on the forum.

U-dig shale is pretty fun. I recieved some time about a year ago, and I was pretty pleased with what I got. But I have moved on from inverts to vertebrates, and find that I enjoy verts a lot more. 

I can't wait to see what specimens you find! 

Thanks for sharing,

-Micah

• 2 weeks later...

In the shale that we split, we only found tiny trilobites. Quite a few of them, but they are only like 1/2 a centimeter in size. They suggest that you soak the rocks and dry it out a few times to be able to split it thinner to find hidden trilobites. I have kept the shale and will try it out in the future. 

For what we found in the shale, I am glad they sent us trilobites that were already seen on the surface of shale.

I am still very happy with the order.

• Enjoyed 1

4 hours ago, Des1 said:

In the shale that we split, we only found tiny trilobites. Quite a few of them, but they are only like 1/2 a centimeter in size. They suggest that you soak the rocks and dry it out a few times to be able to split it thinner to find hidden trilobites. I have kept the shale and will try it out in the future. 

For what we found in the shale, I am glad they sent us trilobites that were already seen on the surface of shale.

I am still very happy with the order.

Well, somtimes you win, sometimes you lose. At least you got some trilobites. ;) I would love to see some pics of the specimens you did find. 

-Micah

U-dig is a fun place to dig... at least it was the 3 times I've been. Last was about 25 years ago lol. With getting "raw" rock you are taking a big chance. Even digging at the quarry you can split a lot of rock with little to show. But then one more split and you have a box full of keepers. 

• I found this Informative 1

On 10/1/2022 at 4:13 PM, fossilhunter21 said:

Well, somtimes you win, sometimes you lose. At least you got some trilobites. ;) I would love to see some pics of the specimens you did find. 

-Micah

Here are some of my finds.

They sent the large fossil one in the ziplock bag but the 2 small fossils we found in the shale.

The other pics is some of the split shale. 

16651578305518229063878424209590.jpg

16651579476356014115627168601302.jpg

166515799809175095797268279347.jpg

16651580252387132937314483360138.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Well, it looks like you found some ok bugs! :Smiling: I think you may be able to split the shale a little further. You can split it pretty thin, especially if you have a thin chisel.  

-Micah

• I Agree 1