Tiny jaw with teeth

diginupbones

8 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

My guess is deer, m1 and p4

Wow! That small? Any estimate on age by the tooth wear?

4 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

No, but deer usually don't live long lives.

Very true, I guess I wasn’t thinking that way. You don’t see many whitetails around here even today that make it more than 4 or 5 years. Thanks Harry 

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s a comparison to a modern adult Whitetail deer. i’m still amazed by the size difference. 
A12B7589-EE23-45C9-BF17-6AFB51EBA496.thumb.jpeg.b5680329f13664b3c418cdd3322cbade.jpeg

What formation was the little jaw found in?  Do you know how old it is?  That jaw might be too old to be from a deer since the earliest occurrence of deer in North America might be the latest Miocene Montbrook site in Florida.  @fossillarry

Hi Diginupbones,

looking at your size comparison, the fossil looks to be about one to two thirds the size of the recent bone, depending on which tooth exactly we are looking at. Perhaps a juvenile?

But quite hefty for a rodent. 

(I did think about rats, mice, squirrels when I wrote this, not beavers and capybaras obviously, we do not get these here)

Best Regards,

J

Edited by Mahnmut
second thought

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

The specimen is a right lower jaw of a little antilocaprid.  It is Barstovian or Clarendonian in age. The teeth are well worn but were certainly low crowned when unworn.  This puts this specimen in the subfamily merycodontinae. these small antilocaprids had horn cores that looked like antlers that appear  not have keratinous sheaths,unlike the other subfamily antilocaprinae, That have both sheathed and unsheathed horn cores and were generally lager. The teeth are a little small to be a dromomerycid,cervoid like ruminants that also had bony unsheathed horn cores. Lastly the specimen is not from a blastomercid,small hornless deer like artiodactyls because their lower p4 is more complex then is found in this fossil. There are several antilocaprid  genera that  could be represented by this specimen but I am not versed enough in this group to try and  ID this fossil.        ,

• I found this Informative 4

Thank you! Definitely a new one for my collection. 

15 minutes ago, fossillarry said:

The specimen is a right lower jaw of a little antilocaprid.