North Texas (Midlothian) Finds

FossilArtwork

Found these in Midlothian, TX (North Texas) in 1 small area. #1 and #2 I'm most interested in identifying.

Thanks in advance for those smarter than me who can easily identify these.

880183668_MidlothianFossils.jpg

Thanks, I didn't know the shells got that big. At first glance I assumed excavator teeth had scraped the large pattern somehow. :DOH:

They can get up to 6-8ft, car sized,  would be something to find one that big intact, keep an eye out might find smaller ones. 

• Enjoyed 1

Cliona cretacica sponge borings.

Richards, H. G. et al., 1958. The Cretaceous Fossils of New Jersey, Part 1; Trenton, NJ: Department of Conservation and Economic Development.

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/njgs/enviroed/oldpubs/bulletin61-I.pdf

See plate 1 and page 29 in Richards 1958 reference.

929CE63A-5CAC-434B-8A05-6E65039EC934.jpeg

A14CEB1B-9A9C-4ED9-AF78-B6D08D26BD1A.jpeg

873412D8-5F92-4A3F-93C7-4A3D5063F66B.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 minute ago, FossilArtwork said:

Thanks @DPS Ammonite, I reckon you're 100% correct.

What makes the Inoceramus fossils so thin? Even the large piece was 1mm to 2mm thick at the most.

They are composed of different layers; maybe they all did not preserve. The aragonitic mother of pearl layer rarely preserved and is much more likely to dissolve than the outer calcite layers.

Some inoceramids have relatively thin shells for their size supposedly so that they could float on the soft mud.

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

14 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The aragonitic mother of pearl layer

Great info, thanks @DPS Ammonite. I spent 2 years digging the Duck Creek Formation in west Forth Worth hoping to find an ammonite with the mother of pearl layer preserved. Collected about 100 fossils, but none glistening/colorful. I'll have to share those finds in another thread.

1 hour ago, FossilArtwork said:

Great info, thanks @DPS Ammonite. I spent 2 years digging the Duck Creek Formation in west Forth Worth hoping to find an ammonite with the mother of pearl layer preserved. Collected about 100 fossils, but none glistening/colorful. I'll have to share those finds in another thread.

To preserve mother of pearl, AKA nacre, the fossils need to be preserved in tight,cemented non/fractured rocks such as clay or ironstone. Movement of watery fluids through fossiliferous rocks such as lightly cemented sandstones and siltsones dissolve the nacre. I have seen fossils with nacre in several

areas: ammonites north and west of Dallas in the Arcadia Park Formation; inoceramids in the Austin Group shales at North Sulphur River and ammonites and maybe bivalves in the Denton and Weno Formation ironstones near Lake Texoma.

Edited by DPS Ammonite