Species ID on Elrazh formation theropod tooth

Per Christian

I just received this tooth in the mail. It was sold as eocarcharia but the carinae on the front makes me wonder if it really is eocarcharia. What do people here make of it? It's 6.5 cm long. It's quite worn so i can't see any serrations on the backside, but the carinae is visible. Also, is the tip broken from erosion or feeding wear?

It's from the elrazh formation, Gadoufaoua, Tenere desert, Niger

@Troodon

received_6199800206700947.jpeg

received_3425340674403440.jpeg

received_505466947836787.jpeg

received_488791296465382.jpeg

received_790144135575925.jpeg

received_5723288064394796.jpeg

received_510478634233517.jpeg

Edited by Per Christian

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

What's your concern with the mesial carina ?

It stops quite high up on the crown. Reminds me more of megalosaurid teeth. Not that I'm saying it's megalosaurid, but made me wonder. Of what's left of the mesial side of the tooth, the carinae extends just short of 2 cm, leaving 3 cm of no carinae along the front/mesial side 

It's difficult to see on the photos and with the state of preservation.  This tooth includes quite a bit of root ( white line.)  Does the red line indicate the extent of the carina?

1665748069202.jpg.679ac0d9fba806359292b6213992323c.jpg

The red line on this picture indicate where the mesial carinae ends. It's quite high up, about 2 cm from where the root seems to begin. I wasn't aware it was partially rooted, that's neat. Makes sense now that i look at it 

received_420227306948808.jpeg

Wow thats high and not typical of lateral Carcharodontosaurid teeth.   I have no idea about this tooth.  I will say what I have said many times with Niger Jurassic teeth, very little is known about identification of its teeth, little is published and Ive had a major concern about the accuracy of the provenance.  

9 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Wow thats high and not typical of lateral Carcharodontosaurid teeth.   I have no idea about this tooth.  I will say what I have said many times with Niger Jurassic teeth, very little is known about identification of its teeth, little is published and Ive had a major concern about the accuracy of the provenance.  

Thanks! Yeah it was really strange. Hope more data and research keep coming out regarding the dinosaurs of Niger. Is it possible that the tooth is Jurassic and it's location has gotten mixed up along the way of what i imagine is a few middle men between the person excavating it and the seller i bought it from? I can imagine it could

1 minute ago, Per Christian said:

Is it possible that the tooth is Jurassic and it's location has gotten mixed up along the way of what i imagine is a few middle men between the person excavating it and the seller i bought it from? I can imagine it could

Not only that but think about the diggers.   Are they experts in identifying deposits that are close to one another??  Even if collected and sold accurately we know so little about the fossil content in the Echkar Fm that its difficult to say much about teeth that don't match what is published.

23 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Not only that but think about the diggers.   Are they experts in identifying deposits that are close to one another??  Even if collected and sold accurately we know so little about the fossil content in the Echkar Fm that its difficult to say much about teeth that don't match what is published.

Yeah I've wondered about that 

I've had the same experience with the couple of alleged Eocarcharia teeth I've gotten. Mesial carina doesn't extend to the bottom--hard to know if it really ends or is worn away--and I'm left wondering if it's an Afrovenator tooth that got mixed up. You can see this in tooth 3 and 4 in the link below. I was happy to remain hopeful that tooth 5 was in fact Eocarcharia, but I just got by first Kryptops tooth and the similarities make me wonder (despite tooth 5 not having a perfectly straight distal edge). Maybe I'll post the comparison.

Seems like Eocarcharia may be much tougher to find than sellers make it look.

32 minutes ago, Dino Dad 81 said:

I've had the same experience with the couple of alleged Eocarcharia teeth I've gotten. Mesial carina doesn't extend to the bottom--hard to know if it really ends or is worn away--and I'm left wondering if it's an Afrovenator tooth that got mixed up. You can see this in tooth 3 and 4 in the link below. I was happy to remain hopeful that tooth 5 was in fact Eocarcharia, but I just got by first Kryptops tooth and the similarities make me wonder (despite tooth 5 not having a perfectly straight distal edge). Maybe I'll post the comparison.

Seems like Eocarcharia may be much tougher to find than sellers make it look.

Really interesting! It seems your tooth nr 3 is similar to mine. They seem awfully robust to be afrovenator? The preservation color seems elrhaz but i doubt one can judge by color alone? The mesial carinae definitely ends where i marked, there's no wear in that area on the tooth. What other groups besides megalosaurids have that kind of mesial carinae @Troodon?

You cannot identify a tooth just based on a short mesial carina, you need a good provenance.    We only have very very limited knowledge of what is found in that deposit maybe a couple of teeth have been published.  It is what it is, indeterminate at this time.

10 hours ago, Troodon said:

You cannot identify a tooth just based on a short mesial carina, you need a good provenance.    We only have very very limited knowledge of what is found in that deposit maybe a couple of teeth have been published.  It is what it is, indeterminate at this time.

Gotcha, thank you @Troodon, your help is invaluable, really appreciate it 

On 10/14/2022 at 2:28 AM, Per Christian said:

Also, is the tip broken from erosion or feeding wear?

Very very difficult to make that call.  My guess and would lean more towards it occured post mortem.  I say that because it's not a shed tooth and it's state of preservation.

• I found this Informative 1

@Per Christian

You may want to get the very best pics your can of the tip under varying light to show how smooth/not-smooth the break is. I had the same hunch as Troodon based on the look of the break--and, regardless, he knows best--but perhaps if your pics can reveal that the break has been thoroughly smoothed over (i.e., shiny smooth--nothing jagged or raw looking), it could present new information to help make the call.

1 hour ago, Dino Dad 81 said:

@Per Christian

You may want to get the very best pics your can of the tip under varying light to show how smooth/not-smooth the break is. I had the same hunch as Troodon based on the look of the break--and, regardless, he knows best--but perhaps if your pics can reveal that the break has been thoroughly smoothed over (i.e., shiny smooth--nothing jagged or raw looking), it could present new information to help make the call.

Yeah that makes sense, i got some new pictures here, hope they help! Hope I'm not spamming you guys here. The break is pretty smoothed 

@Troodon

received_1232786257265787.jpeg

received_504612884594366.jpeg

received_1489679178175162.jpeg

received_360443132903584.jpeg

received_782751069682054.jpeg

received_682753013078648.jpeg

received_431602525577378.jpeg

I’ll be curious to see if it helps. The shape of the crack isn’t streamlined like you tend to see in teeth that have spent a long time in the mouth following a break. So I guess the bottom line is, can such uniform smoothing of the surface (even if not the overall tooth) make a case for antemortem usage. Can that smoothing happen postmortem?