Bone identification needed.

Tony G.

I collect armadillo fossils.  All of my fossils have been purchased and I have been able to identify most of them using the internet.  The attached photos are from bones I purchased labeled Holmesina carpals.  Both seem to be the same bone, one from holmesina septentrionalis and one from holmesina floridanus (my guess).  They are both river finds from Northern Florida, USA.  I have not been able to find a photo or diagram showing this bone.  Does anyone have a photo or diagram showing this bones position in the skeleton.  If these bones are not from the Holmesina genus, I would like to know that also.

IMG_3677.JPG

IMG_3678.JPG

IMG_3679.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

20 hours ago, Tony G. said:

If these bones are not from the Holmesina genus, I would like to know that also.

I have hunted SW Florida for 15 years. It has lots of Armadillo fossils.  Hard to go hunting without finding one. Like,  Harry,  I have never seen this bone previously.

We have a fossil identification Service in Florida: If you submit,  some of the experts at UF will try to identify.    @digit

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/amateur-collector/fossil-id/

• I found this Informative 4

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I have little confidence, but I do have a nagging suspicion that this is a 'gator skull bone.  Disarticulated, the 'gator skull has 53 separate bones.

gato_skull_squamosal.JPG.74e9a2a250fa095dbb8315559995ceca.JPG1691241280_gatorskullbones.thumb.jpg.ee3245a7c5e30a1a6fa418e3703d667f.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I agree that the articulating surfaces do look much more like a calcaneum than a carpal.

The link that Jack gave above is good and has the updated email address for fossil ID: vertpaleo@floridamuseum.ufl.edu

Due to Richard Hulbert's retirement, this email address is being monitored by several FLMNH staff--one of which specializes in xenarthran fossils and she would instantly recognize this if it were part of any Holmesina species.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

12 hours ago, digit said:

I agree that the articulating surfaces do look much more like a calcaneum than a carpal.

The link that Jack gave above is good and has the updated email address for fossil ID: vertpaleo@floridamuseum.ufl.edu

Due to Richard Hulbert's retirement, this email address is being monitored by several FLMNH staff--one of which specializes in xenarthran fossils and she would instantly recognize this if it were part of any Holmesina species.

Cheers.

-Ken

Oooh I can finally get ID’s? Hooray :heartylaugh:

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

I think this may be the navicular bone.  I have 2 known calcaneum bones from Holmesina and an astragalus bone.  The astragalus I have was not the correct side, but I had made a 3d model of it on my computer and inverted it to be the other side.   When I put the calcaneum and the astragalus 3d print together, this bone fits fairly well up against them.  It maybe just slightly off in size for a perfet fit.  I will add picture later today.

Found this last night.  See image link below.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Right-foot-of-the-holotype-MNHN-1642-1-articulated-foot-in-cranial-view-2-right_fig4_322187896

IMG_3784[1].PNG

Edited by Tony G.
  • Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Tony G. said:

I think this may be the navicular bone.  I have 2 known calcaneum bones from Holmesina and an astragalus bone.  The astragalus I have was not the correct side, but I had made a 3d model of it on my computer and inverted it to be the other side.   When I put the calcaneum and the astragalus 3d print together, this bone fits fairly well up against them.  It maybe just slightly off in size for a perfet fit.  I will add picture later today.

NICE  !!!!  I love understanding the thought sequence, the processes and resources you use to narrow down a possibility  !!!  I suppose it does help to have an extensive Holmesina bone collection.  :Smiling:

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Used some of my wifes hair ties to hold it all together, but I'm pretty sure this is how it fits together.  

IMG_3787.JPG

IMG_3785.JPG

IMG_3786.JPG

IMG_3788.JPG

Edited by Tony G.
added photo
  • I found this Informative 1