Precious Opalized Bone

Royal peacock opal mine

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

What is your question?

I can see some opalization and a cellular structure in one piece. So, it could be opalized bone. But I am not sure and I am unfamiliar with the area.

Are such bones already known from the Virgin Valley in Nevada?

Knowledgeable members may comment soon :dinothumb:.

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard

If this is a show and tell, then please tell us more. Did you find this yourself at the mine? Is it already identified without a doubt that it's bone? If so, from what animal? Is the exact stratigraphy determined?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Kinda show an tell but not really. I did find myself on the many acres of our private property in the heart of the Sheldon national wildlife refuge and there are many many more fossils that I am looking forward to sharing from the same layer most are just fossilized very few are opalized and this is the only one I e seen with precious in the 13 years I’ve been working the family business. Would like to identify but without more I heard it probably would be impossible to tell what it was from. Looks like shoulder blade but I have no idea. From what animal??? Again I have no idea. We have camels and three toed horses that have been identified as that in the area So I’m assuming camel. I have no doubt that it is a fossilized bone with the morrow being filled with precious opal. 
pictures I thought weren’t very good I will try to take more again 

Very interesting and beautiful find!

For context the non-opalized pieces will be as interesting.

As far as I know skapulae in most mammals do not have much marrow, but not sure about really big species. Maybe a flattened part of the pelvis? These have marrow even in puny humans.

The pitted surface may be diagnostic to those familiar with the region?

List of species from the location:

https://www.mindat.org/paleo_strat.php?id=18130

Best regards,

J

• Thank You 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the information. Been looking for something like that for years. Thought I’d have more stuff up and be a little more active but things always seem to happen. Anyways thank you very much!