Hi again everyone! I have a small fossil from a unit of lacustrine laminated silt from here in Saskatoon from the very late Pleistocene or early Holocene. The unit directly overlays a unit of till from the Wisconsinan glaciation. The unit contains carbonized plants stems, some of which are filled with wood boring beetle larva frass, diatoms, and burrows similar to Cruziana. In one of these hollowed-out burrows, I found this fossil, which is approximately 0.5 mm in length. It is composed of many extremely small carbonized plant fragments, all arranged horizontally from longest to shortest. I have no suggestions to explain how such an arrangement could occur through abiotic means, and the fossil bears a striking resemblance to caddisfly larva cases, many of which are composed of plant fragment arranged horizontally. I have attached some photos taken through a microscope lens on an iPhone. In hopes of accounting for the rough image quality, I have included numerous angles and degrees of brightness to help illuminate the arrangement of plant fragments. Any help confirming the caddisfly diagnosis or directing me from my incorrect guess to a correct one would be greatly appreciated!

caddisfly4.jpg

caddisfly3.jpg

caddisfly2.jpg

caddisfly1.jpg

caddisfly5.jpg

caddisfly6.jpg

Edited by Pseudogygites