Not in my books...

shellgeekchick

I was at a sand bag station pile and found some goodies .... 

I think the rounded top cones on the bottom are Conus Carlottae- they show a very particular pattern under UV light and this is the 2nd time now finding these shells at this location. Wish I knew where the dirt came from....!

Then we have this volute looking thing that I haven't seen before either ... anyone know what that is?

On the left is what we would call a zigzag flat today...a deep water scallop that's top is flat and bottom is more deeply curved than a Calico. You can see the casting of the inside of the bottom shell and the top mineralized in there it's pretty neat :)

For reference, we have an old Alphabet cone moon snail and murex and some olives, all from the same pile ... along with a heavier clam that is a bigger version of today's Beautiful Crassatella. 

Those 3 in the second row from the top are ones I am having trouble finding. 

The leftie cone on the bottom is a Conus Adversarius with a busted tip....

1667316751542526415422111541174.jpg

Conus Carlottae I believe 

2nd time I found this shell here.

These are more bulbous near the top than an alphabet and with a shorter spire -  and under a UV light a pattern shows but the cell phone can't do it justice.

Previous papers on this "newer" identified fossil species shell remarks on the location for this species to be the Dominican Republic. Interesting to see it here in South West Florida gulf. 

I have found them twice on Ana Maria in dirt piles but am unsure where this fill dirt came from. Can't be from more than 15 or 20 mile radius tops is my guess but wish I knew where the town got their sandbag dirt from. 

18 hours ago, shellgeekchick said:

The....? "crassatella"...?

It resembles the modern Eucrassatella speciosa, which is also documented as a fossil from the Pleistocene Caloosahatchie Fm of Florida

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

18 hours ago, shellgeekchick said:

The...?volute? With the stripes...

Volutifusus sp., I think.   The nuances which separate the various Volutifusus species are a splitters dream.  I"m more of a lumper, so I personally wouldn't dare go past genus level.

George Santayana

• 2 weeks later...

The bivalve is Kalolophus speciosus formerly Eucrassatella. Here LINK and here LINK.

The cone is Conus yaquensis LINK.

The volute is Scaphella trenholmii.  The specimen pictured below is from the Upper Pliocene Jackson Bluff formation in Florida Panhandle grabbed from the Florida Museum of Natural History's Invertebrate Paleontology Database.

1023406209_Scaphellatrenholmii.JPG.66d853814b95253360399c19b634434c.JPG

All three are common in the Upper Pliocene Pinecrest Member of the Tamiami Formation mined extensively at one time in South Central-Southwestern Florida.

Mike

• I found this Informative 2

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

On 11/13/2022 at 1:33 AM, MikeR said:

The bivalve is Kalolophus speciosus formerly Eucrassatella. Here LINK and here LINK.

When was it renamed?

George Santayana

50 minutes ago, hemipristis said:

When was it renamed?

Possible reference:

DeVries, T. J. (2016). Fossil Cenozoic crassatelline bivalves from Peru: New species and generic insights. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica. 61(3): 661-688., available online at https://doi.org/10.4202/app.00228.2015
page(s): 681 [details]  Available for editors  PDF available [request] 

https://www.app.pan.pl/article/item/app002282015.html

Online site where above reference mentioned:

https://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=884188

A search on Mindat is worthwhile and leads to the same reference. Look for “sourced info” from  GBIF.

https://www.mindat.org/taxon-8756852.html

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.