color patterns

rocket

Today I did some pics of a huge piece of rock from the famous (today closed, forbidden to dig...) basalt-pit Weitendorf near Graz in Austria. It was miocene vulcanism covering sweetwater-sediments containing lot of snails, shells, rarely crabs and other fossils.

Some of the snails are preserved with color patterns, but it is rare.

So, when I did the pics and worked on them last hour I found two of them. One is Natica tigrina millepunctata, I think this gots the name "millepunctata" due to the lots of dots :eyeroll:

Size is approx. 2 cm, small one, but perfect!

2544_Weitendorf_n.thumb.jpg.69232102cea6c85442c0e2e72da64b78.jpg

2557_Weitendorf_Natica tigrina millepunctata.jpg

Edited by rocket
  • Enjoyed 7

Yeah, that´s really not common having the pattern on a Natica. Great!

Its quite common to have a pattern on Conus snails at this site:

Kegelschnecke_KalloconusHendricksi_Weitendorf_Hoeherechts24mm_beschr_b_kompr.thumb.jpg.6082089c4dc3a4710e6487ed01079c01.jpg

Kegelschnecke_KalloconusHendricksi_Weitendorf_Hoeherechts32mm_a_kompr.thumb.jpg.bbf07cccba1d74867741b1d77650e67b.jpg

A few km away, you need an UV light:

Kegelschnecke_KalloconusHendricksi_Zusammenstellung_b_E_kompr.thumb.jpg.13d92f2bed389eec7de4a8a9c8ab609d.jpg

You are not allowed to enter the quarry freely, but the fossil bed is now (at least it was from 2016-2020) exposed in an area (Tiefbau) that is not within by the rather small natural monument (Which is mostly covered by debris).

This hole, however, was dug into the natural monument:

Weitendorf, Styria, Austria - Fossil Hunting Trips - The Fossil Forum

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 2

1 hour ago, FranzBernhard said:

Yeah, that´s really not common having the pattern on a Natica. Great!

Its quite common to have a pattern on Conus snails at this site:

Kegelschnecke_KalloconusHendricksi_Weitendorf_Hoeherechts24mm_beschr_b_kompr.thumb.jpg.6082089c4dc3a4710e6487ed01079c01.jpg

Kegelschnecke_KalloconusHendricksi_Weitendorf_Hoeherechts32mm_a_kompr.thumb.jpg.bbf07cccba1d74867741b1d77650e67b.jpg

A few km away, you need an UV light:

Kegelschnecke_KalloconusHendricksi_Zusammenstellung_b_E_kompr.thumb.jpg.13d92f2bed389eec7de4a8a9c8ab609d.jpg

You are not allowed to enter the quarry freely, but the fossil bed is now (at least it was from 2016-2020) exposed in an area (Tiefbau) that is not within by the rather small natural monument (Which is mostly covered by debris).

This hole, however, was dug into the natural monument:

Weitendorf, Styria, Austria - Fossil Hunting Trips - The Fossil Forum

Franz Bernhard

wow, very nice, thanks for showing! Always a "wonder" that patterns and color could be preserved over millions of years..., I think I do not look so pretty in the year 15 000 000 b.c. :s_cry:

Some years ago there was a nice report about the site and color pattern In the german Fossilforum STEINKERN, Steinkern.de - Die Fossilien-Community - Die Weitendorf-Sammlung von Herbert Schlemmer

• Thank You 1