Setup Requirements For Fossil Preparation

Automaton25

Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to fossil preparation and just ordered a Zoic Paleotech Velociraptor II to get started.

I have an older DeWalt portable oilless compressor that is more than capable of driving the unit.  My understanding is that the Velociraptor II shipped with an inline filter, is this enough or should I be adding an air filter and dessicant? If I need an additional air filter, what micron level should I filter down too?

Any recommendations on filters/dessicants? I will eventually be getting a 2 stage 80 gallon oiled compressor but not for a while.

Cheers,

Andrew

Moved to FOSSIL PREPARATION;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just now, Fossildude19 said:

Moved to FOSSIL PREPARATION;)

Thank you, I wasn't sure if it should go there or not since my questions are more tool related than actual preparation.

Preparation encompasses techniques as well as the tools.  ;)

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

5 hours ago, Automaton25 said:

Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to fossil preparation and just ordered a Zoic Paleotech Velociraptor II to get started.

I have an older DeWalt portable oilless compressor that is more than capable of driving the unit.  My understanding is that the Velociraptor II shipped with an inline filter, is this enough or should I be adding an air filter and dessicant? If I need an additional air filter, what micron level should I filter down too?

Any recommendations on filters/dessicants? I will eventually be getting a 2 stage 80 gallon oiled compressor but not for a while.

Cheers,

Andrew

First, lets discuss the current compressor.  Is this the typical "pancake" compressor used for things like nail-guns, roofing, etc?  If so, its not enough.  It may "run" your scribe, but it will more than like run constantly, which those little compressors werent made for.  It will quickly burn out to try and use it for a day of fossil prep.  

The inline filter is sufficient to prevent debris, but you also need a coalescing filter to drop out excess moisture.  If you dont have it, you will begin spitting black water onto your fossils as line condensation moves through your scribe.  I can also damage your scribe.  IT was designed to work with compressed air, not compressed water.

Desiccant filters are great for getting super dry air.  You dont NEED that level for a scribe, but if you ever move up to air-abrasion then you will definitely need it then.

I wouldnt worry too much about the micron filter size, whatever you buy from a tool supply store would be fine. 

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

37 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

First, lets discuss the current compressor.  Is this the typical "pancake" compressor used for things like nail-guns, roofing, etc?  If so, its not enough.  It may "run" your scribe, but it will more than like run constantly, which those little compressors werent made for.  It will quickly burn out to try and use it for a day of fossil prep.  

The inline filter is sufficient to prevent debris, but you also need a coalescing filter to drop out excess moisture.  If you dont have it, you will begin spitting black water onto your fossils as line condensation moves through your scribe.  I can also damage your scribe.  IT was designed to work with compressed air, not compressed water.

Desiccant filters are great for getting super dry air.  You dont NEED that level for a scribe, but if you ever move up to air-abrasion then you will definitely need it then.

I wouldnt worry too much about the micron filter size, whatever you buy from a tool supply store would be fine. 

This is the compressor I have: https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D55146-2-Gallon-225-PSI-Compressor/dp/B000HZJLV2/ref=asc_df_B000HZJLV2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309830845655&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=82558548523211643&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028795&hvtargid=pla-569271397802&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=67182671692&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309830845655&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=82558548523211643&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028795&hvtargid=pla-569271397802

I run mechanics air tools off of it and have used hvlp guns with it. It's been fine for that as.long as the painting project is small.

Is something like the Ingersoll Rand ARO coalescing filter sufficient, or should I be looking at something larger like one of the triple cartridge style setups?

That compressor should work, since it gives you a 5cfm at 90psi, but it is going to be running a lot, probably near max duty cycle since its got such a small reserve tank.  That filter looks like it should be fine.  

Just for clarification, shop tools generally only run in short bursts with lots of idle time.  Running a scribe is like putting a tool on the hose and just holding the trigger down, without a pause.  Its nothing for me to run an hour or longer, nonstop while scribing.  This is why its generally recommended to have at least a 4cfm compressor with at least a 20 gallon tank.  You get a lot more recovery time for the compressor so it doesnt burn out.

edit- just looked up the duty cycle on this unit, and its actually rated for continuous duty.  Thats surprising, but very good for you, as long as you dont mind having it running all the time (be sure to use hearing protection!) 

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

24 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

That compressor should work, since it gives you a 5cfm at 90psi, but it is going to be running a lot, probably near max duty cycle since its got such a small reserve tank.  That filter looks like it should be fine.  

Just for clarification, shop tools generally only run in short bursts with lots of idle time.  Running a scribe is like putting a tool on the hose and just holding the trigger down, without a pause.  Its nothing for me to run an hour or longer, nonstop while scribing.  This is why its generally recommended to have at least a 4cfm compressor with at least a 20 gallon tank.  You get a lot more recovery time for the compressor so it doesnt burn out.

edit- just looked up the duty cycle on this unit, and its actually rated for continuous duty.  Thats surprising, but very good for you, as long as you dont mind having it running all the time (be sure to use hearing protection!) 

Yeah, the compressor is a little small but we are short on space. We bought it because it has an insanely good motor on it. It's quite cold right now so at least it should stay relatively cool (currently 18 degrees Fahrenheit).  The Velociraptor is only supposed to pull around .6 CFM at 90 psi so hopefully it doesn't run too much.

The goal is something like the smaller units from Flexzila or something similar.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys use for magnification?  A microscope or stereoscope isn't really practical for me at this time.  I have seen a lot of threads recommending the Donegan Optivisor which has magnification up to 3.5x.  In the same threads I see people recommending 5x or higher minimum magnification but those same people recommended the OptiVisor.

As of now, I am working primarily on fish fossils from Wyoming and Trilobites from Utah. 

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

One of the lighted magnifiers on an articulating arm work well and gives you a decent magnification.  Optivisors are great too, but the higher the magnification, the closer you have to be to the fossil for it to be in focus.  So be sure to pay attention to the working distance.

On 11/25/2022 at 7:46 PM, hadrosauridae said:

One of the lighted magnifiers on an articulating arm work well and gives you a decent magnification.  Optivisors are great too, but the higher the magnification, the closer you have to be to the fossil for it to be in focus.  So be sure to pay attention to the working distance.

Okay, so really anything over the 3.5x magnification becomes too close to really work on a fossil with an air scribe.  Do you have a recommendation for one of the articulating arms, or are they all pretty much equivalent?

3 hours ago, Automaton25 said:

Okay, so really anything over the 3.5x magnification becomes too close to really work on a fossil with an air scribe.  Do you have a recommendation for one of the articulating arms, or are they all pretty much equivalent?

No recommendation.  I just looked them up online and found one with the best reviews.

I may be spoiled as I have been using a microscope since day one, but the problem I have with magnifying lights is that you have to pretty much be nicely perpendicular to the lens with both your eyes and the fossil or you will get lots of distortion.  Just a warning... but for the price, it is a good tool.