Suspected Crab Concretion

FossilFamily_24

Mine have the red cuff stitching =large. They fit well on my slim hands. Medium should work. I searched online and did not find a small size. Dexterity isn't this glove's forte, but is does excel in its purpose. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, SPrice said:

Mine have the red cuff stitching =large. They fit well on my slim hands. Medium should work. I searched online and did not find a small size. Dexterity isn't this glove's forte, but is does excel in its purpose. 

Great, thank you. Good to know that a medium should work since it's difficult finding anything smaller! 

• Enjoyed 1

On 2/16/2024 at 12:40 AM, SPrice said:

I would recommend the Dremel 290. For around $20 you get a lotta bang for your buck in beginning fossil prep.  The Zoic Dremel stylus kit is a must. Comes from across the pond.

Trying to use the original bit in the Dremel is frustrating at best. The bit just thuds along ...like plowing a cornfield with a stick.  The Zoic tungsten styli are the best upgrade ever.

Air scribes would be the next step.  And it's a big step.  A much bigger commitment in money, proper set up, noise, electricity usage, etc.

i really enjoy my 290 and zoic bits!!! As for another option, I went old school and crafted small chisels from steel punches by annealing them, grinding the business to suit the purpose, then re-heated, quenched and tempered them. I have blacksmithing and stone carving skills so this was an easy, natural fossil prepping tool kit addition.

The Dremel has a learning curve like anything new.  Shoving, pushing and ramming the bits on the matrix is 100% wrong. Practice  on the different matrices scraps to find the right tool setting and right amount of pressure. Surprisingly, the lightest pressure possible at the correct dial setting is the right approach. Slow and steady, take breaks, have the proper safety gear and know that everyone will have a boo-boo on a fossil at some point.  Practice on scraps, Practice, practice. Get the feel. It takes a while, but I am improving and can almost intuit where the put the stylus tip and at what angle  and amount of pressure ( the lightest touch )  and PING! a matrix chip flies and the fossil is not damaged. 

That would get you started. The Dremel is an electric micro jack hammer. The air scribes, depending on the model, are the same principle tools but way more efficient, powerful and expensive.  One of the main differences is the start to finish time. Several hours with the Dremel on a small easy, soft matrix could be 30 minutes with an air scribe or faster. It's a journey not a race.  The tortoise gets the prize, the rabbit gets a mess in this endeavor.

My 50 cents. 

Steve

Thanks for the info and thorough analysis, I’ll look into this as well!

• Enjoyed 1

I figured with so many responses that I would just sit back and watch.   I just want to know whats inside? 

RB

• I Agree 1

On 2/17/2024 at 2:02 AM, citronkitten said:

Great, thank you. Good to know that a medium should work since it's difficult finding anything smaller! 

I just ordered some for my lab and all the volunteers.  The salesman said they do not come in small.  I guess they don't expect small women to run a jackhammer.  

• I found this Informative 1

13 hours ago, jpc said:

I just ordered some for my lab and all the volunteers.  The salesman said they do not come in small.  I guess they don't expect small women to run a jackhammer.  

It's certainly not their main demographic, in any case. Thanks for the confirmation; will go ahead with the medium before I do my next prep.