Real or fake Ceratopsian bone?

Hello

Could someone please give their opinion regarding if this an authentic Ceratopsian bone? Per the seller it’s from Wyoming. 

Thank you! 

56B2BC6A-E999-4AFC-9DEB-3118208713DA.jpeg

DAA17A5A-E740-444C-BF66-6371CDACD30D.jpeg

37230E76-D7D7-4DF8-847C-F9C733CE079D.jpeg

C6A46388-7C30-4DC7-A836-5175C9361DD5.jpeg

FC1FFDC2-AEFD-40F7-814F-733085ECAD15.jpeg

3713B282-D5B7-499C-860A-873F234577C1.jpeg

You should ask the seller how he came to identifying it as Ceratopsian.    No diagnostic features to say much.  Did the seller even provide a provenance?

• I found this Informative 1

Don't hesitate to contact a seller and ask about provenance.  They should be able to to tell you the area and formation it came from, the general age, as well as their reason behind the label.  While these random, broken chunks of bone can be very difficult (if not impossible) to ID, the diggers are usually familiar with the species of the formation in their area, and differences in morphology.  On top of that, some formations, like the Hell creek or Lance are predominantly filled with ceratopsian material, making a general id of ceratopsian vs theropod etc, much easier.

• Thank You 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

The listing does say this

FORMATION

Lance Creek Formation, Wyoming

The Lance Formation was first named and officially described by John Bell Hatcher in 1903 for exposures along Lance Creek, Wyoming. Prior to this time it was simply referred to as the “ceratops beds”.

Does that help? I can definitely ask for more information if that would be helpful.

Thanks for your help

Okay at least we know it's from the right deposit.  BTW its Lance Formation not Lance Creek.  Again the fragment does not have any features to say much.  I would contact the seller and find out how he arrived at that ID.  Let us know.

Here is their response

Flat bones are usually a representation of a ceratopsian. They know this because there were herds of them that all dies at once. It is very generalized. I hope that helps.

Interesting I collect in an hadrosaur bonebed and have lots of flat bones. 

" It is Very Generalized" ??? 

Look believe what you want I have not seen anything that convincingly says its ceratopsian.

Wanted to hear the fragments came from a beat up skeleton or busted up known bone.

• I Agree 1