Foothill Amblers

Hi, Please see the attached pdf file. I found this large fossilized bone in a creek bed in California.  Based on photos found online, it appears to be an astragalus.  It has a distinct rectangular quartz inclusion that may have filled a preexisting cavity.  I'm curious whether that is a distinctive trait that might allow it to be identified.  Again, scanning the web, it may be a sloth or hippo, but I have no idea whether they corresponded in size.

Being new to fossilling, I'm not at all sure of its origins.  I originally thought it was a dino bone and am open to all opinions! THANKS!

PDF1.JPG

PDF2.JPG

FossilFind2022.pdf

2 hours ago, Foothill Amblers said:

Hi, Please see the attached pdf file. I found this large fossilized bone in a creek bed in California.  Based on photos found online, it appears to be an astragalus.  It has a distinct rectangular quartz inclusion that may have filled a preexisting cavity.  I'm curious whether that is a distinctive trait that might allow it to be identified.  Again, scanning the web, it may be a sloth or hippo, but I have no idea whether they corresponded in size.

Being new to fossilling, I'm not at all sure of its origins.  I originally thought it was a dino bone and am open to all opinions! THANKS!

FossilFind2022.pdf 939.85 kB · 7 downloads

Welcome to the Forum. What part of Northern California did you find it in? What part are you from?

Looks like part of a Native American stone hammer or similar created from an igneous rock. Searched for “Native American hammer stone”: see screen shot.

Screen shot of part of your images at bottom.

1BB302B1-D5F0-4A97-9262-640ED5E1DC07.jpeg

9C818412-5369-49D1-B655-D57F07554534.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • Enjoyed 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I’m with dps on this one. Thats a typical groove attachment point for a native american piece. Looking at picture 4 i suspect axe but it’s too broken to be sure…

It is missing too many characteristics to be a bone.  

Although very suggestively shaped, I disagree that it is a stone ax.  The groove is too irregular and the unbalanced symmetry undermines the intended purpose.  I see a differentially weathered stone.

• I found this Informative 5
  • I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hammerstone came to my mind immediately. I agree with the others. Very nice find!!!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

2 hours ago, JohnJ said:

and the unbalanced symmetry undermines the intended purpose

I believe it is missing pieces from both front and rear. Basically its just the center attachment point… as to the irregular groove I seen authenticated stone tools with the same irregularity. My wifes family are native american and my brother in law used to make stone tools as a hobby before he died. So I got interested in them and used to check out displays. As always i could be mistaken and eagerly await further replies!

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, Randyw said:

I believe it is missing pieces from both front and rear. Basically its just the center attachment point… as to the irregular groove I seen authenticated stone tools with the same irregularity. My wifes family are native american and my brother in law used to make stone tools as a hobby before he died. So I got interested in them and used to check out displays. As always i could be mistaken and eagerly await further replies!

With respect to your experience, I agree the rock is broken on the surfaces shown in photos 3 and 4.  But, those views also show just how unsymmetrical and poorly balanced it would be as a portion of a stone ax.  Further, the groove doesn't exhibit evidence of pecking and grinding from human alteration.

• I found this Informative 4

This is fun!  Thanks all for the quick responses.  I very much appreciate your input, which completely changed my suspicions as to its identity..  As a complete novice (it really shows here :)) I agree that it must be a hammer stone as shown in figs 5 & 6.  I originally discounted the obvious due to its size.  I had noticed photos of hammer stones online but could not find pictures of a hammer stone this big.  After more research, it appears to b a grindstone used to process food., It weighs over 13lbs now.   I can imagine it with a handle lashed on so that it could be rotated to crush acorns.

I appreciate all of your insights & opinions.

From what I can see, I still think it is a natural feature.  The abrasive stones or other tools used to make the grooves in a stone ax typically create a uniform radius.  This one is not very uniform and has deeper, smooth pits that bolster a natural occurrence.  

It takes a lot of effort to create a grooved stone ax.  As I've said, the asymmetry of this piece 'begs the question' of why choose to put all that effort into this rock vs a more well balanced stone?

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks!  That pretty much the mystery.  I appreciated your advice and that of the others.  Have a good day!

• Enjoyed 1

I agree with John that this is rather crude to be a well-balanced hammer. The concave groove around the whole rock still looks man made. I see no evidence that there is softer layer that was preferentially eroded. I see no lineations of the holes or inclusions in the rock, or bedding parallel to the groove. I see a hard rock that was broken and polished in a stream.

Groove really looks man made, but for what purpose? Could it have been a counterbalance? Could this have been a weight that was used with a rope or cable. I have seen rocks used by ranches with crude grooves that anchored guy wires for fences. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thank you all!  The consensus is that I found a nicely polished river rock. I'll likely put it back.