Need help with ID OF A small shark tooth, Cretaceous

Nadav

I found this tooth while dissolving a rock from Mishash formation (in southern Israel). Some suggested that it might be a nurse shark tooth or a cat shark tooth. Could you please help me figure it out? And if you know the specific species it would be great!

IMG_20221220_223413.jpg

IMG_20221220_223437.jpg

1646808692-IMG_20220116_121951.jpg

DSC_0673.JPG

1646808692-IMG_20220116_121815.jpg

DSC_0672.JPG

A+ Gallery_34.jpg

DSC_0671.JPG

A+ Gallery_31.jpg

Hi,

Is it a recent one ? The last pics suggest that.

Ginglymostomatidae in my opinion.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Yup. I'm getting a nurse shark vibe from that as well. My experience with this type does not go back as far as the Cretaceous. Possibly @fossilsonwheels has experience with this lineage?

Cheers.

-Ken

On 12/23/2022 at 11:06 AM, Coco said:

Hi,

Is it a recent one ? The last pics suggest that.

Ginglymostomatidae in my opinion.

Coco

Thank you very much. It's not recent. It's upper Cretaceous. But your suggestion is really close!

On 12/23/2022 at 1:26 PM, Grandblanc said:

Hi,

Nice tooth !

Have a look to protoginglymostoma, or pseudoginglymostoma.

Philippe

Hi Philippe. It's really similar! I couldn't find a full match but you gave me the right direction. Thank you!

On 12/23/2022 at 4:40 PM, digit said:

Yup. I'm getting a nurse shark vibe from that as well. My experience with this type does not go back as far as the Cretaceous. Possibly @fossilsonwheels has experience with this lineage?

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you!

On 12/23/2022 at 6:40 AM, digit said:

Cheers.

-Ken

Hi Ken

I do have some experience with Cretaceous Orectolobiformes. It does look like a Nurse Shark and I think @Grandblanc made some good suggestions.  I have seen teeth labeled Pseudoginglymostoma from the late Cretaceous of Morocco that look very similar. I’ve got a Plicatoscyllium from Morocco that I can look at as well. I don’t know much about the fauna of the formation except it’s late Cretaceous.

• I found this Informative 1

Did some digging and there is a publication about the Chondrichthyes of the Mishash Formation listed on Fossilworks. The only Orectolobiformes in the publication was Ginglymostoma, no species listed. One of the authors is Henri Cappetta. I’d suggest trying to find that publication or maybe contacting Cappetta. It’s a gorgeous tooth. One of nicer Cretaceous Carpet Sharks I’ve seen. 

The listed genera suggest a very fascinating fauna. If you break down anymore rocks, keep an eye out. Lots of potentially interesting micro shark teeth. Squaliformes, Scyliorhinids, Triakids, etc. 

Mishash formation is dated to the Campanian, but upper part could be Maastrichtian.

In Cappetta, H. (1990). "Echinorhinidae nouveau (Neoselachii, Squaliformes) du Crétacé supérieur du Negev (Israël)." Neues Jahrbuch für Geologie und Paläontologie, Monatschefte 12: 741-749. Among the Orectolobiforms, only Chiloscyllium sp. is cited in this Formation.

Very close to Pseudoginglymostoma idiri, but this species (genus too) is only known up to the Maastrichtian, and folds are missing on labial face. 

May be a new one ?

On 12/26/2022 at 1:16 AM, fossilsonwheels said:

Did some digging and there is a publication about the Chondrichthyes of the Mishash Formation listed on Fossilworks. The only Orectolobiformes in the publication was Ginglymostoma, no species listed. One of the authors is Henri Cappetta. I’d suggest trying to find that publication or maybe contacting Cappetta. It’s a gorgeous tooth. One of nicer Cretaceous Carpet Sharks I’ve seen. 

The listed genera suggest a very fascinating fauna. If you break down anymore rocks, keep an eye out. Lots of potentially interesting micro shark teeth. Squaliformes, Scyliorhinids, Triakids, etc. 

Thank you so much!

4 minutes ago, Chimera said:

Mishash formation is dated to the Campanian, but upper part could be Maastrichtian.

In Cappetta, H. (1990). "Echinorhinidae nouveau (Neoselachii, Squaliformes) du Crétacé supérieur du Negev (Israël)." Neues Jahrbuch für Geologie und Paläontologie, Monatschefte 12: 741-749. Among the Orectolobiforms, only Chiloscyllium sp. is cited in this Formation.

Very close to Pseudoginglymostoma idiri, but this species (genus too) is only known up to the Maastrichtian, and folds are missing on labial face. 

May be a new one ?

Interesting. The taxonomy list on fossilworks lists Ginglymostoma but doesn’t list Chiloscyllium. I haven’t read the paper, I only found the reference. 

8 minutes ago, Chimera said:

May be a new one ?

Thanks a lot! 

Ginglymostoma 

Only cited in the Gahrer Formation (Maastrichtian)

if anyone wants this article I can produce a pdf file.

I contacted the author but given the age of this article I did not expect a positive response (at least not in the short term). I think that article may provide some insight into this find and if not posted directly to this topic at least send a PM to the original poster with it attached so they can possibly enlighten themselves with some pertinent insight. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1

Science should be shared  and accessible to all and especially during our turbulent times. 

Kind regards

• 2 weeks later...

Nadav, I've send you a message

Having a look in old pictures on my computer, I find this , some Orectolobiform teeth from a middle Maastrichtian bed in phosphate mines of Morocco.

Box is 35 to 55 mm.

OuedZem6.jpg

M2013_Maastr_Oulad_Abdoun.jpg

59 minutes ago, Grandblanc said:

Having a look in old pictures on my computer, I find this , some Orectolobiform teeth from a middle Maastrichtian bed in phosphate mines of Morocco.

Box is 35 to 55 mm.

OuedZem6.jpg

M2013_Maastr_Oulad_Abdoun.jpg

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing! It looks identical to mine. Do you know the specific species?

On 1/16/2023 at 10:39 PM, Nadav said:

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing! It looks identical to mine. Do you know the specific species?

1128459988_GinglymostomatidaeMarocPhosphate.jpg.b794327fb3b11e10160e014e7dcda4b6.jpg

Noubhani, A. & Cappetta, H. (1997)
Les Orectolobiformes, Carcharhiniformes et Myliobatiformes (Elasmobranchii, Neoselachii) des Bassins à phosphate du Maroc (Maastrichtien-Lutétien basal). Systématique, biostratigraphie, évolution et dynamique des faunes. Palaeo Ichthyologica, 8, 1–327

• I found this Informative 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/16/2023 at 9:38 PM, Grandblanc said:

Having a look in old pictures on my computer, I find this , some Orectolobiform teeth from a middle Maastrichtian bed

OuedZem6.jpg

How did you break down the phosphate matrix to look for these teeth? I have a few matrix pieces with just common mosasaur teeth that I have bought to break down. Not sure how to do it. Cheers.