Is this common in Potomac?

TwistdBarrel

A couple years ago a friend and I decided to hit the road to look for sharks teeth. Calvert cliffs was the one place that kept showing up on google. We live in southern Ohio so we took a chance and drove out to Maryland. Went to Brownies, walked to Calvert, checked flags, the Cabins, Westmoreland with little to no luck. Somehow we came across Purse so we took a chance and went. Found hundreds of small teeth but I found one that was decent. Talked to Hoppe and he identified it as a otodus. Just wondering if it is normal size? Did I get lucky? I plan on revisiting in March. Last year was a bust. Raining and water was choppy. Should of checked the weather. Also quick note. Is their any way of getting access to Cove point or do I have to be a resident? I'll slip someone a couple Andrew Jackson's (Lol)

purse-state-park (1).jpg

purse-state-park.jpg

purse-state-park (2).jpg

20230110_202421.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

Otodus are fairly common from Purse State Park and the BLM property on the Potomac River in MD.  The Otodus tend to be a little larger in Purse than in the BLM property.  I started collecting in that area in 1974 and have almost 800 Otodus from over 100 trips.  Most Otodus from the area are under 2" so your tooth is a nice size from the area.  I have a decent number over 2" with the largest being an anterior tooth at 2.75" slant height.  I've personally seen several teeth over 3" from the area with the largest being a lateral tooth at 3.5" slant height.  The vast majority of the Otodus that I have from the area have crown feeding damage, root damage, or water wear.  Undamaged, pristine teeth at or over 2" are definitely very uncommon.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, automech said:

Can you decode "BLM property on the Potomac"? Bureau of Land Management??

yes

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana