Petrified wood nugget

Oli_fossil

Hi, I’m new here, just posting a couple of recent finds from a recent trip to the surf coast in Victoria, Australia.

This one I believe to be a nugget of petrified wood, found embedded in a cliff shelf sedimentary layer above volcanic basalt (from an eruption previously dated to 26Mya). I can see clear wood grain (I think), so pretty confident this one is petrified wood, but would appreciate any comments/suggestions!

A lot of the fossils in the surrounding layers are echinoids and brachiopods, so I am guessing fossilized driftwood?

the object is hard and smooth to the touch, much heavier than wood. I have cleaned it up a bit, removing sedimentary material and some black gunk on the surface (still some visible).

Cheers,

Oli

F0EDAE72-D40D-45CC-93E4-1BEDAC889496.jpeg

B7B7845D-5F6D-4B21-AF80-851CFD549A33.jpeg

93A82F3B-C52C-4ADB-9806-344858E6D0E0.jpeg

24FE7944-6233-4CDF-B6AA-091CE423F660.jpeg

F8CE3D2D-D2EB-496D-BB87-8F440574E7DF.jpeg

If helpful, here is a photo of the layer where I found the item (the depression where it was embedded is visible, as is the basalt layer in the background). This was perhaps 3 meters above ground level, and I would estimate 7-10m below the top of the cliff, in a rarely trafficked shelf, accessible at low tide.

C7E8FB18-5570-4A4F-B6FC-39F2FA98DF05.jpeg

Fossil palm wood? Is that based on the wood grain? Not many palms around that part of the world these days but I guess if it was driftwood it could’ve traveled quite a distance before petrifying? Thanks for the reply!

19 minutes ago, Oli_fossil said:

Fossil palm wood? Is that based on the wood grain? Not many palms around that part of the world these days but I guess if it was driftwood it could’ve traveled quite a distance before petrifying? Thanks for the reply!

Yes the wood grain:

PL2 Palm Petrified Wood Specimen – paleobotonist says probably from North  Carolina | GeoRarities

I haven't heard of petrified palm wood specifically from Australia but it is found worldwide (Indonesia has large deposits).

Edited by JBkansas
  • I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Oli_fossil said:

I guess if it was driftwood it could’ve traveled quite a distance before petrifying? 

I think if anything ocean currents were even more global until around the end of the Miocene. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1