Fossilized Bone (I think?) Found In River Bed

BCrummett

Hello Everyone -

I found this item yesterday on the bank of a river while on a walk, and was wondering if anyone might have any guesses as to what it could be. The item was found in Deschutes County, Oregon on the banks of Tumalo Creek. From the look and feel of it, the item appears to be a fossilized bone of some sort, and here’s why I think so…. 

1) It is much heavier than other animal bone fragments of this size that I have found, and the item is really much heavier than it looks for such a small size

2) it has the feel of a rock when held, and sounds like other rocks I tested when “clinking” this item against other rocks in the creek

3) I tried to light it on fire with a small torch, and the flame did not leave any scorch marks or stink like burnt hair

Anyways, any identification info would be appreciated, even if its a best guess. I found this item while walking with the kiddo, and it would be pretty cool if it wound up being a fossil she could add to her rock collection. On a side note, I have found a few Native American artifacts in the same general location, washed up on the creek bank, so maybe its something like that? Who knows… 

Thanks for looking and any help in IDing this item.

-B

51253111-3EBF-4FFB-ABFD-6F3449DBA5AD.jpeg

209EF4E6-3658-49E5-A4E7-DA063655109C.jpeg

7374A0DA-3EF2-4653-9E0A-F2BDD87F6AC2.jpeg

17E32C24-4A14-470E-91E6-4502F2E0A3A0.jpeg

F2FFB494-8A79-4A5A-9FE9-3EE475874D04.jpeg

525ADC53-054F-43EB-99E0-3B23274E9E92.jpeg

I do not thing its a bone, its hollow and  the external surface is not very uniform. Perhaps the item was formed around a sponge which  has eroded out leaving the cavity. Others here will know for sure and be familiar with the strata and geology of your area. Whatever  it is its an interesting addition to your daughters collection.

• Enjoyed 1