Mid-February fossil search Selzerbeek, South Limburg, The Netherlands.

Mart1980

Mid-February, officially still winter, yet it felt like spring yesterday. In February, the average temperature in the Netherlands is about 3 degrees, so yesterday it was not cold at 14 degrees. I couldn't wait any longer this year, and planned my first quest of 2023. I really had to get out, so sat in my auro early in the morning arriving 3 hours later at the Selzerbeek in South Limburg, the Netherlands.

20230217_120622.jpg

The stream mainly runs through Vijlener limestone (Upper Cretaceous / Gulpen Formation / Vijlen Limestone). This means that you can encounter all fossils from this stratigraphic layer. I was mainly looking for shark teeth today. Because the many marl quarries in the Netherlands are closed, I wanted to try my luck in this stream. In addition, brachiopods, sea urchins, belemnites and bivalves can be found. To find shark teeth, especially good ones, I knew I had better luck than Gladstone Gander. But just finding incomplete teeth from this Gulpen formation would make my day. The Selzerbeek never disappoints, coming home empty-handed is a rarity.

20230217_120900.jpg

On arrival the stream was beautiful. With an impressive number of snowdrops along the stream I got the feeling of spring. The crystal clear water smiled at me. Because I don't want to dig in the stream, I had to rely on the surface sand and gravel. To carefully search for this, very clear water is a must.

20230217_121135.jpg

20230217_121208.jpg

The first small finds were made within the hour. Just a quick photo with the stream in the background. The stone on which they lie is a typical limestone from Vijlen, which are scattered across the stream.

20230217_135713.jpg

Walking along the stream, many pieces of Viijlens limestone from the Gulpen formation are visible. These are the stones from which the fossils and therefore also the shark teeth are worn out by the running water and rain. My thought was to search mostly around these stones to increase the chance of partially complete teeth.

20230217_122654.jpg

20230217_134352.jpg

20230217_134619.jpg

20230217_134523.jpg

Searching for my finds of a few hours. Many parts of small shark teeth. Incomplete as expected from this stream. Still nice to have found some teeth from this location. Difficult to determine due to the incomplete condition, although some are recognizable. As a by-catch, of course, Belemnites. I found a lot of them, only put a few in my pocket along the way. In addition, there was other small Cretaceous material, which I have to identify again under a magnifying glass.

20230218_141725.jpg

It was a strenuous and successful day for me. After my search and accompanying search it was almost dark and time to take care of the inner person. Spoiled myself in one of the excellent Limburg restaurants.

IMG-20221020-WA0010.jpg

I don't want to spoil you, but it tasted delicious. I thought I deserved that, not true? :JC_doubleup:

Edited by Mart1980
  • Enjoyed 9

Thanks for posting your day out. I enjoyed the read and pictures and and of course your finds. That meal looks delicious too...look for your next collecting tip and the dinner after :thumbsu:

Edited by Advantage
typo
  • Thank You 1

On 2/18/2023 at 6:33 PM, Advantage said:

Thanks for posting your day out. I enjoyed the read and pictures and and of course your finds. That meal looks delicious too...look for your next collecting tip and the dinner after :thumbsu:

The maI certainly did not regret the meal. After a lot of walking and bending down to the water, I really had to gain strength. That was successful. :Wink1:

On 2/19/2023 at 12:46 AM, Yoda said:

Looks like a nice place to visit 

Certainly in the South Limburg region one of the best free to visit location. Recommended indeed!