About Sinopliosaurus

Ginger0412

Please tell me about Sinopliosaurus. Is Sinopliosaurus a member of the marine reptile Pliosaurus?

Or are you a Spinosaurus companion? If anyone understands, please let me know. Thank you in advance.

The exact taxonomic position of S. weiyuanensis remains unresolved but is most likely a Spinosaurid.   Based on fragmentary material it was described in 1944 before Spinosaurids were known in Asia.   I doubt anyone will pay attention to redescribe it unless more discoveries are made.   However in 2008, Buffetaut et al. published a scientific paper, that challenged the placement of the second species Sinopliosaurus fusuiensis as a marine reptile and called it a Spinosaurid. 

Abstract Teeth from the Early Cretaceous Napai Formation of Fusui County, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region (South China), initially described as the sauropterygian Sinopliosaurus fusuiensis, are redescribed as belonging to a spinosaurid theropod closely allied to Siamosaurus suteethorni, from the Early Cretaceous of Thailand. This identification extends to China the geographical range of Asian spinosaurs, previously reported from Thailand and Japan.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/geological-magazine/article/abs/an-early-cretaceous-spinosaurid-theropod-from-southern-china/58C344542286B11BD9DA47EC9B2C65C7#

All I know. 

• I found this Informative 3