Morrison Formation dinosaur skin

bcfossilcollector

After reading the recent thread on Morrison Formation fossils, especially the reference to Suuwassea on the tables provided, I thought I’d post an image of this particular fossil from my collection. It’s an example of the carbonized dinosaur skin found in the Morrison and sometimes attributed to Suuwassea although Diplodocus sp. is probably more accurate. I think I have a few more specimens somewhere.

5CAF64EB-D529-4AF0-B9FD-20AB214C88D2.jpeg

0B648078-4759-481B-B708-F597E6E99EB9.jpeg

4B4977B8-62A8-46AC-A935-8FF2C43EFF6D.jpeg

Forgot to include my question. Has there been a comparative study on sauropod skin impressions as regards Morrison Formation fossils? I tried searching but did not come up with much information. @Troodon, @jpc

I don't know of any Morrison Fm dino skin papers.  There have been some sauropods from South America (I think) with some pretty good soft tissue preservation.  

• I found this Informative 1

I'm like jp not heard of any.  You might want to touch base with Ken Carpenter on FB and see what he says.

Short paper

New occurrences of dinosaur skin of two types (Sauropoda? and Dinosauria indet.) from the Late Jurassic of North America (Mygatt-Moore Quarry, Morrison Formation)

Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology  Volume 31, 2011 - Issue 3

Foster et al

Screenshot_20230302_132942_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e218a27a55b505cffae5bf5c59d3cbcd.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks Troodon and jpc. Really appreciate the information!

Edited by bcfossilcollector
Add

I read this but pertaining to South American ones

Polygonal – specifically, pentagonal, hexagonal and heptagonal – scales are known for the macronarian and some diplodocids

Some of the images and information I’ve seen/read online suggest polygonal scales in the configurations you’ve mentioned. I will try to get in touch with Ken Carpenter. Hopefully the close ups I’ve provided are clear enough. 

3 minutes ago, bcfossilcollector said:

Hopefully the close ups I’ve provided are clear enough. 

Can you try to send him ones that are sharper

Yes. I’ll try to get some sharper pictures with a camera that’s better than the phone I’m currently using. I will post those here as well. @Troodon

Edited by bcfossilcollector
  • Enjoyed 1

yeah, those aren't terribly sharp.  I cannot see what makes this skin and not plant matter.  Says the skeptic.  

36 minutes ago, jpc said:

yeah, those aren't terribly sharp.  I cannot see what makes this skin and not plant matter.  Says the skeptic.  

Skepticism is good!  I’m going by the  information I was provided along with my own comparison with some photos I’ve seen of alleged sauropod skin from the Morrison Formation. Of course that comparison is really quite meaningless given my ignorance as regards Morrison fossils. I’ll try to post some better photos this afternoon. I really appreciate your time and knowledge. 

I've never held or seen sauropod skin other than the photos in images I added above.  So I'm not really qualified to be commenting on them but would lean against them being one.  The expected polygon shapes are too varied and irregular.    An expert is needed here  :D

I’ve seen nothing apart from these specimens and a few photos online. The Haestasaurus photo example, from the United Kingdom, showed the same lack of uniformity in the tubercules as the specimens I’ve shown in this thread. I realize that is not, in itself, conclusive evidence. I must admit to being a bit more skeptical , as regards these fossils, than I have been in the past. Thanks Troodon!

I had seen another post on "dinosaur skin impressions in tracks" and I wasn't 100% convinced that they were skin impressions.  So I asked Dr. Weems, who has written a number of books on dinosaurs and tracks in the VA/MD area, about skin impressions.  This was his reply:

"Areas of skin surface do occasionally show up, but much more common are areas where algae formed a mat at the surface of sluggish marsh water.  In a dry spell, such an algal mat dries up and creates a wrinkly surface that looks a lot like dried skin.  If there is a large patch of this material big enough to get a sense of the size and shape of the wrinkled surface, it is usually pretty easy to tell if we are looking at an algal mat or a patch of mummified skin.  For small examples where the edge of the mat or skin cannot be seen, however, it is generally impossible to be sure which case we are seeing."

I know what a typical algal mat looks like, and this specimen doesn't look like one to me.  But there are a number of other non skin impression possibilities.  So send your pictures to an expert as Troodon suggests.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I’ll post whatever information I receive.