DrKrenobli

Greetings.

Location: Southern Washington State, in the Cascade Range, by a river.

Geologic studies of the area suggest there was a massive landslide at this location over 1 million years ago.

Present day it is a very wet area with lots of fungi.

Material density and hardness appear identical to the petrified wood found at the same spot (highest concentration of petrified wood I've come across in the Cascade Range.

I first thought it was wood until I noticed the direction of the lines seem to be perpendicular to how I'd expect tree rings to be.

Reminds me of some sort of shelf mushroom, though I do understand any sort of petrified/fossilized fungus is extremely rare and unlikely.

I look forward to your input.

FY8QGyL.jpg

g2wHDEs.jpg

Jnh0R0c.jpg

bCqeKZw.jpg

CktgbmP.jpg

jqhnOSv.jpg

Q6Xu8Up.jpg

1mLilJ0.jpg

GrGwexF.jpg

9JM7SNT.jpg

Edited by DrKrenobli
  • Enjoyed 5

Welcome to the Forum.

Your piece is wood. You can see faint growth rings (yellow). The semi-parallel light-colored prominent structures that are perpendicular to the growth rings are rays.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medullary_ray_(botany)

FC10FD0A-CC12-44B2-B817-2B7AF20D191A.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

The patterns in the piece remind me of an ancient type of sequoia petrified wood with a herringbone pattern that was found in Hell's Canyon which is along the Idaho/Oregon border.

Marco Sr.  

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Beautiful specimen. Congratulations!

• I Agree 3

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Hi there and a warm welcome to the forum.

Beautiful specimen. Do you know what geological formations your creek flows through? I'm generally familiar with formations in the gorge area but not sure you mean that far south in the cascades. Regardless, most rocks in the cascades are volcanic and fossils are few and far between so you may be onto something. 

Getting more definitive answers to what kind of petrified wood you've found and how old it is will depend heavily on the geological formations they come from. Forum experts are happy to assist, if you can give them a little more about the area of your discovery, by pointing you to the right geological maps online. If you're concerned about others using this information to jump your claim, as you should be, you can private message members on this forum without everybody on the internet having access to it. However, even something as simple as "South of Mt Adams" or "south of Mt St. Helen's might be enough for us to point you in the right direction without reveling specifics.

Best of luck to you on your journey of discovery,

Mike