Judging Mazon Creek nodules unopened

Mochaccino

Hello,

I'm considering purchasing some unopened Mazon creek nodules to open for fun, since I'm unable to hunt fossils myself. I'm inexperienced with the material so I wanted to ask if there is a rule of thumb for judging if a nodule is going to be good or potentially contain some rare stuff?

Here is an example batch I'm considering. The nodules range from 4-8 inches. My gut tells me the very long thin ones are most likely the common plants like Pecopteris, and that I should try to get more of the round/oval ones?

916E2141-4545-4E51-9470-3CB12D4E5D95.thumb.jpeg.149a989a5001a7cdf0c971f396c519d8.jpeg692528CD-3D20-43C2-98E4-F5380067A44A.thumb.jpeg.7c390d0a4b3aa4ddc03936134954ec61.jpeg507EF7BA-BBDD-4A5E-A628-3445EF35C124.jpeg.7ef26211b392be4188ae2836d1a7685f.jpeg

8 hours ago, Mochaccino said:

the very long thin ones are most likely the common plants like Pecopteris, and that I should try to get more of the round/oval ones?

This is generally true. However, some locations produce many exceptions. MC fossils are like a box of chocolates -- you never know what you'll get. Also, remember that from some locations only one in ten (or more) will produce anything at all. That last photo looks like it should be good for about 7 or 8 out of 10 to contain fossils. Looks like it should be fairly evenly split between flora and fauna. Also, you should know that only one out of a thousand produces something rare.

P.S. -- please search and read about the freeze/thaw method of opening them if you are not aware of it.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
  • I found this Informative 3

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

3 hours ago, connorp said:

Does the seller tell you the locality?

Looks like pit 4 material.

Mark.

6 hours ago, connorp said:

Does the seller tell you the locality?

3 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

This is generally true. However, some locations produce many exceptions. MC fossils are like a box of chocolates -- you never know what you'll get. Also, remember that from some locations only one in ten (or more) will produce anything at all. That last photo looks like it should be good for about 7 or 8 out of 10 to contain fossils. Looks like it should be fairly evenly split between flora and fauna. Also, you should know that only one out of a thousand produces something rare.

P.S. -- please search and read about the freeze/thaw method of opening them if you are not aware of it.

Thank you, the seller says the exact location is "near coal pit #3 Mazon Creek"; does that help the assessment?

2 hours ago, Mochaccino said:

Thank you, the seller says the exact location is "near coal pit #3 Mazon Creek"; does that help the assessment?

Pit 3 is Braidwood biota, so these will probably be mostly plants. From what I've collected in Pit 3, not a lot of duds (assuming good shapes to begin with). The longer ones will probably be ferns or wood, the others could be anything.

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, connorp said:

Pit 3 is Braidwood biota, so these will probably be mostly plants. From what I've collected in Pit 3, not a lot of duds (assuming good shapes to begin with). The longer ones will probably be ferns or wood, the others could be anything.

I see, thank you very much, and thank you @Mark Kmiecik as well. These nuances are exactly what I was looking to learn!

As Connor said, the pit 3 area is high percentage yield -- not many duds.

Mark.