Eocene Oligocene solitary corals Bulgaria Rhodope Mts

Dimitris

Hello everyone. I am after the ID of these solitary corals.

Age: Oligocene, did not manage to pinpoint the exact location on the geological map, due to poor quality map.

As per a local expert, the horn-shaped coral is a Placosmiliopsis bilobatus and the age is Oligocene. The species is supposed to have polymorphy; some are roundish, while others form slightly the number 8.

I found a topic on a Spanish forum but I fail to understand the key elements determining the species. Through the help of Google translate, I understood that I have to create cross sections (vertically? horizontally? I made both) but I do not understand what I should observe. (Spanish text in the end of this post)

Additionally, as per minedat, the P. bilobatus is supposed to have gone extinct up to Priabonian. This is the reason I started searching since one fact is against the other.

The horn-shaped coral is approx an inch in diameter and 1.25" height.

The discoid coral has a diameter of 1.75" and 0.25" thick.

Both were cleaned with toothbrush and KOH.

@fifbrindacier said that @oyo and @HansTheLoser might be able to help on this topic.

I would appreciate your opinion. Thank you!

"Placosmiliopsis: columnella laminar profunda / Pattalophyllia: columnilla trabecular.
Solo hay que cortarle a un cucurucho su rabito y pulirlo un poco (con una muela de afilar cuesta poco), para ver si tiene una columnilla en lámina continua o una columnilla también lineal pero por una amalgama de trabéculas.... como en las últimas fotos de los links que ha puesto Elotro...        ....para mi que es Pattalophyllia."

This what it is supposed to be Placosmiliopsis bilobatus. There are some noumoulites or other foraminifera on top of it.

1681316112855.thumb.jpg.d5720e5682b1c71e17ad33f3ae689b46.jpg

1681316112840.thumb.jpg.2a7e2c149e5bd3d87b123e73a141bb7b.jpg

Horizontal section

1681409159501.thumb.jpg.99cb5b94c8981118a5763d0c5f1a2c12.jpg

Vertical section

1681409159516.thumb.jpg.f9d8bf882e41fbcd826922d110f483c4.jpg

The other type of coral, found at the same locality.

1681409159485.thumb.jpg.8a4865e48589b7107c0766574fb98ddc.jpg

Edited by Dimitris
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Good looking specimens!

• Thank You 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I want to add some information.

I looked the geological map more carefully and I think it's Priabonian. 

Except that, I think I managed to make sense of the Spanish text and we lean more towards Pattalophyllia sp since the internal structure looks like small needles.

I would still appreciate your opinion since ours is way far from experienced.

• 1 month later...

I know those two guys, oyo and Elotro. Bad people. Ha.

You have two types of corals there.
The discoidal specimens are Funginellastraea.
As for the horn-shaped specimens, I agree with your assessment and it seem to me to be Pattalophyllia rather than Placosmilia-Placosmiliopsis-Aulosmilia.
The sections necessary to observe the columns must be, on this occasion, transversal. I would make it higher than you did.

I hope to be of some use. Greetings and beautiful corals.

• Thank You 1

13 hours ago, oyo said:

I know those two guys, oyo and Elotro. Bad people. Ha.

You have two types of corals there.
The discoidal specimens are Funginellastraea.
As for the horn-shaped specimens, I agree with your assessment and it seem to me to be Pattalophyllia rather than Placosmilia-Placosmiliopsis-Aulosmilia.
The sections necessary to observe the columns must be, on this occasion, transversal. I would make it higher than you did.

I hope to be of some use. Greetings and beautiful corals.

Hahahaha thanks a lot for the input.

Transversal is this section, right?

1681409159501.thumb.jpg.99cb5b94c8981118a5763d0c5f1a2c12.jpg.91c658493571664bbba69843b2e00802.jpg

Connolites sp was identified by a friend the discoidal one. I am not sure about that one.

Yes, that's a transversal section. But to see the structure of that columella you should go a little further.
No, Cunnolites/Cyclolites do not exceed the K/T limit and therefore are not present in the Eocene or Oligocene. It is also structurally very different from Funginellastraea.