Ages of fossils from the Ouled Abdoun Basin

Othniel C. Marsh

Posted (edited)

I have recently been trying to work out the exact ages of my fossils from the Ouled Abdoun Basin, but it is proving somewhat difficult, particularly with regards to sharks and crocodilians. I have been unable to find any comprehensive resources on the matter, and any relevant resources or other guidance on this front would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Othniel

Edited by Othniel C. Marsh

As far as I know, I don't think there are any guides, especially the crocs.

In regards to crocodylomorphs, you need to really go to the Moroccan source that dug them up, or has information on any given specimen. Generally, they will tell you if it came from a Cretaceous/mosasaur layer. Genera like Chenanisuchus is a K-Pg survivor, and occurs in both Maastrichtian and Paleocene deposits. Though Maastrichtian specimens are not officially documented from Morocco I don't think, so they would be cf. Chenanisuchus if found in the Ouled Abdoun Basin. Ocepesuchus is the other Maastrichtian croc with the others being Cenozoic like Maroccosuchus and the dyrosaurids.

As for sharks, I don't really know a ton about. At the very least, all Otodus obliquus are Cenozoic, while all Squalicorax are Maastrichtian. The others I think can have genera that are similar to each other so you need to know how to distinguish those species.

• I found this Informative 1

14 hours ago, Kikokuryu said:

As far as I know, I don't think there are any guides, especially the crocs.

In regards to crocodylomorphs, you need to really go to the Moroccan source that dug them up, or has information on any given specimen. Generally, they will tell you if it came from a Cretaceous/mosasaur layer. Genera like Chenanisuchus is a K-Pg survivor, and occurs in both Maastrichtian and Paleocene deposits. Though Maastrichtian specimens are not officially documented from Morocco I don't think, so they would be cf. Chenanisuchus if found in the Ouled Abdoun Basin. Ocepesuchus is the other Maastrichtian croc with the others being Cenozoic like Maroccosuchus and the dyrosaurids.

As for sharks, I don't really know a ton about. At the very least, all Otodus obliquus are Cenozoic, while all Squalicorax are Maastrichtian. The others I think can have genera that are similar to each other so you need to know how to distinguish those species.

My principle area of concern was with regards to Cenozoic species. I have, fortunately, identified all of my Moroccan shark teeth to a species level, but often any information on the specimen only gives an epoch level of specificity, whilst I have been attempting to narrow it down to a stage, and whilst I would be quite happy to note them down as potentially coming from any point in a number of stages (for example, Danian - Thanetian) I'd rather not label all of them as Danian - Ypresian.