Favorite Trilobites In Your Collection!

paleozoicfish

Here is my personal favorite, the Cybeloides iowensis from the Maquoketa formation of Northeast Iowa. After finding this bug, I was hooked on trilobites. All the spines are natural to this bug, there is no restoration. This specimen was prepped by Gerald Kloc and photographed by T.E. Whiteley

post-3840-0-73298600-1296481684_thumb.jpgpost-3840-0-85134500-1296481697_thumb.jpg

My other favorite is the Gabriceraurus sp. from the Platteville formation of Western Wisconsin. This specimen was found ventral and was flipped during prep. This specimen was also prepped by Gerald Kloc and photographed by T.E. Whiteley.

post-3840-0-79014800-1296481974_thumb.jpgpost-3840-0-33893400-1296481984_thumb.jpg

Very Nice Caleb!

I love both specimens but your spiny Cybeloides iowensis is incredible!!

Kudos to Gerald for his outstanding prep jobs!

Dan

Edited by palaeopix

Very Nice Caleb!

I love both specimens but your spiny Cybeloides iowesis is incredible!!

Kudos to Gerald for his outstanding prep jobs!

Dan

I agree as well. Does the prepper take other jobs as well?

-PzF

Wow,

those Triarthrus are truly amazing PzF!

There are several great sources of information on trilobite ventral morphology, probably the best of which is Sam Gon's, A Guide to the Orders of Trilobites. Here's a link to the section on ventral morphology (http://www.trilobite...o/trilovent.htm), here's the link to the section on hypostomes (http://www.trilobite...o/hypoterms.htm) and here's the link to trilobite feeding habits (http://www.trilobites.info/feeding.htm).

Another very useful source of information on the function of hypostomes comes from Richard Fortey, a world expert on trilobite life styles. Have a look at this YouTube video (http://www.thefossil...richard-fortey/), where Dr. Fortey speculates about how various types of hypostomes functioned.

I hope these links answer all your questions.

Dan

Dan,

Excellent! This is just what I was hoping for. I will be going through this carefully tonight.

Thanks!

-PzF

I also noticed that there appear to be sections of limbs in the rest of the body that function as units. Anyone have anymore information on this?

In honor of your super-spectacular soft-bodied trilobite here is a free

pdf of the classic book collaboratively undertaken by the legendary

C.E. Beecher finished posthumously by the great Percy Raymond.

"The Appendages, Anatomy and Relationships of Trilobites" LINK

This warranted another post especially since Beecher and Raymond's

tireless work is focused on the Triarthrus from the Utica Shale of New York.

Back in the day Beecher was prepping the bugs by the 1000's with an eraser!

The appendages for Calymene, Ceraurus and Marella are included as well as

superb information on trilobite anatomy. Even for its age it's still a great read.

One more must have that I found within TFF courtesy of Placoderms:

Appendages of Trilobites by Charles D. Walcott LINK

Thanks Dan (Palaeopix) for linking back to Richard Fortey's excellent Oxford trilobite lecture.

This is a richly rewarding subject that literally brings these creatures to life .... top to bottom! B)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I love all the trilobites pictures here. They are all outstanding. Here are a few of my favoites from my favorite quarry. I know very little about trilobites so if anyone can ID the species of these Ceraurus it would be appreciated.

post-391-0-96378200-1296502381_thumb.jpg post-391-0-42106100-1296502391_thumb.jpg post-391-0-34574200-1296502397_thumb.jpg

Also my favorite Isotelus from this same quarry. I have heard many different species names for the Isotelus from this area. Does anyone know the correct id?

post-391-0-61056100-1296502405_thumb.jpg

I love all the trilobites pictures here. They are all outstanding. Here are a few of my favoites from my favorite quarry. I know very little about trilobites so if anyone can ID the species of these Ceraurus it would be appreciated.

Also my favorite Isotelus from this same quarry. I have heard many different species names for the Isotelus from this area. Does anyone know the correct id?

Hi Crinus, thanks for the spectacular trilobites ... keep 'em coming! ;)

The cheirurid in photo #1 is a Ceraurus plattinensis ... I've only wanted one forever. :o

#2 is a Gabriceraurus dentatus, #3 Ceraurus globulobatus although not sure that's still correct? :blink:

The Isotelus looks like I.mafritzi but I'm less certain, maybe a I.gigas or I.iowensis ? :unsure:

In a word .... A-W-E-S-O-M-E !!! B)

Edited by piranha

Hello Crinus! The first 2 Ceraurus are Gabriceraurus plattinensis, or as some people still prefer to call them Ceraurus plattinensis. The first one has flattened spines, which makes it look a little different. The third Ceraurus is C. globulobatis. All are from the Bobcaygeon Fm from Car. I presume.

The Isotelus is more problematic. Look under a scope and see if you can see pitting on the exoskeleton. If so, I am sure it is an I. gigas. I. gigas only occur in the Bob and Ver Fms of S. Ont. It is not I. iowensis as it lacks the genal spines. The only other possibility is I. playcephalus, which typically occurs a bit lower - in the Gull River Fm. I. ottawaensis is maybe a possibility, but it occurs higher in the section (Upp Verulam-Cobourg).

My guess, is that it is I gigas (if it has the pitting). If not, it is I playcephalus.

Do you agree Bildo?

Cheers,

Kevin

I "mafritzi" only occurs in the Cobourg (Lindsay) Fm.

And with the C. plattinensis (or Gabriceraurus as the should be called according to the literature) - there is quite a bit of variation in this species. But I suspect there may be 2 or 3 separate species. Notice the difference between the 2 especially on the posterior cephalic border.

Hello Piranha! Good identifications!

Hello Crinus! The first 2 Ceraurus are Gabriceraurus plattinensis, or as some people still prefer to call them Ceraurus plattinensis. The first one has flattened spines, which makes it look a little different. The third Ceraurus is C. globulobatis. All are from the Bobcaygeon Fm from Car. I presume.

The Isotelus is more problematic. Look under a scope and see if you can see pitting on the exoskeleton. If so, I am sure it is an I. gigas. I. gigas only occur in the Bob and Ver Fms of S. Ont. It is not I. iowensis as it lacks the genal spines. The only other possibility is I. playcephalus, which typically occurs a bit lower - in the Gull River Fm. I. ottawaensis is maybe a possibility, but it occurs higher in the section (Upp Verulam-Cobourg).

My guess, is that it is I gigas (if it has the pitting). If not, it is I playcephalus.

Do you agree Bildo?

Cheers,

Kevin

Thanks for the update on Gabriceraurus as genus for G.plattinensis.

Can you point to the new paper(s)? I'm referencing Bill's work from 1989.

C, mantranceras is also a Cobourg bug, but also occurs in the Verulam. I don't think any occur as far down as the Bobcaygeon....

• I found this Informative 1

Can't remember the article offhand, but I'll check later....... Bill would know as well. I know he doesn't quite agree with the Gabri assignment. Sort of like me with Nanillaenus/Thaleops. Or all the collectors who have a difficult time forgetting about Phacops and switching to Eldredgeops.....

Very nice trilobites everyone! It is a pleasure to see such great specimens! Those French bugs are sweet! And the Triarthrus.....Wow!!!! And thge Bobcaygeon trilos - love em love em love em! Too bad the quarries are now closed! Signs signs, everywhere signs

Can't remember the article offhand, but I'll check later....... Bill would know as well. I know he doesn't quite agree with the Gabri assignment. Sort of like me with Nanillaenus/Thaleops. Or all the collectors who have a difficult time forgetting about Phacops and switching to Eldredgeops.....

Can't say I blame him really!

RE: Ceraurus and related trilobites from the Middle Ordovician Bobcaygeon Fm. of South-Central Ontario, Canada

Hessin, William A. (1989) Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, vol. 26, issue 6, pp. 1203-1219

post-4301-0-18184200-1296507129_thumb.jpg

Since it's relevant and on point this trilobite makes for a perfect segue. I present Leviceraurus mammiloides. B)

RE: Leviceraurus, a new Cheirurine trilobite from the Cobourg Fm. (Middle-Upper Ordovician) Southern Ontario,

Hessin, William A. (1988) Canada Journal of Paleontology, 62(1): 87-93.

Leviceraurus mammiloides 2.5" (6cm)

Cobourg Formation - Ontario, Canada

post-4301-0-64220000-1296508487_thumb.jpg post-4301-0-97771100-1296509345_thumb.jpg

Gabriceraurus dentatus (Raymond and Barton)

Known cheirurines from the Ord. of southern Ontario: (although this list does not include the unnamed species or indermediates). There are definately more species of Ceraurus as yet unnamed (such as those 2 different G. plattinensis of Crinus' - they are certainly different).

Ceraurinella trentonensis

"Xylabion" n. sp.

Ceraurinus serratus

C. marginatus

C. icarus

C. remus

Bufoceraurus bispinosus

B. sp.

Gabriceraurus dentatus

G plattinensis

G. gabrielsi

Ceraurus pleurexanthemus

C. globulobatus

C. aff. milleranus

C. mantranceras

Leviceraurus mammilloides

Kawina trentonensis

Sphaerocoryphe robustus

Hey Kevin,

That's SUPERB, did you prep it? The Gabriceraurus seem to have a more squared cephalic margin?

Anything similar to what you pointed out as far as flattening that might affect or impact these fossils?

Here's a Ceraurinella (=Xylabion) cephalon 1.5" (4cm)

post-4301-0-04940800-1296522075_thumb.jpg

Kevin

Thanks for the info. This is all news to me. Are you saying the specimens of Isotelus from the Bobcaygeon that have genial spines are iowensis? Here are two specimens that I have with genial spines. Someone told me that with or without genial spines, they would still be gigas. Your comments are appreciated.

post-391-0-90535900-1296534279_thumb.jpg post-391-0-92382400-1296534284_thumb.jpg

crinus

Thanks for the info. This is all news to me. Are you saying the specimens of Isotelus from the Bobcaygeon that have genial spines are iowensis? Here are two specimens that I have with genial spines. Someone told me that with or without genial spines, they would still be gigas. Your comments are appreciated.

post-391-0-90535900-1296534279_thumb.jpg post-391-0-92382400-1296534284_thumb.jpg

crinus

Isotelus gigas does not have genial spines, but Isotelus iowensis does. I think there needs to be some work on the many species that occur in the Ordovician of Canada.

Edited by Caleb

Kevin

Thanks Kevin for the ID, but you have only opened a can of trilobites. Tomorrow when I have more time I will post some of my other cerauruids and get your opinion. Yes, they are either from Car or LaF and some from JD. I have been collecting in those quarries for over 20 years. Too bad that is no longer the case.

crinus

I gigas:

-occurs in the Verulam and Bobcaygeon: - small specimens can have genal spines, but lrger (over 6 cm) lack spines. Coarsely pitted cephalon

I. iowensis:

-has very long and broad genal spines. Verulam and Bobcaygeon Fms

I. platyycephalus:

-Gull River and Bobcaygeon Fm. more rounded outine, smaller eyes

I. ottawaensis - similar to latus, but smaller and narrower

I. latus:

-Cobourg Fm.

I. "mafritzi"

-Cobourg Fm

I. maximus:

-Georgian Bay Fm.

And yes! Just like the cheirurids, the asaphids - especially Isotelus need much work! The Bobcaygeon species seem to be mostly I iowensis (but they may actually be new) and I gigas. The Verulam species are mostly gigas. There are some bigger suckers in the Bobcaygeon as well, which I doubt belong to any of the above mentioned species.

Piranha - Yes I do all my own prep. And yes - Gabriceraurus dentatus has a more squared off frontal border, and the glabella is more subparallel (rather than expanding forward as in Ceraurus).

Distortion and flattening can always have an effect on identification. Proportions differ with different preservation. That's why I really hate trilobite workers using length/width proportions for characters distinguishing trilobites. There has to be consistency in measurements.