Favorite Trilobites In Your Collection!

paleozoicfish

Oh My,

there's some nice Cheirurids in your guys' collections!

Just one more thing I have to add to my collection now!

Curse you all!!!!! :D

Keep 'em coming!eat%20popcorn.gif

From Russia With Love :wub::wub::wub:

Paraceraurus exsull 4" (10.5cm)

Middle Ordovician - Vilpovitsy Quarry

Asery Formation, St Petersburg, Russia

post-4301-0-18392300-1296543348_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I gigas:

-occurs in the Verulam and Bobcaygeon: - small specimens can have genal spines, but lrger (over 6 cm) lack spines. Coarsely pitted cephalon

I. iowensis:

-has very long and broad genal spines. Verulam and Bobcaygeon Fms

thanks Kevin but I am still confused. The larger Isotelus (left pic) is 14 cm long. Does that make it an iowensis? I would not consider the spines to be very long compared to the rest of the specimen. The ventral I sotelus is only 5 cm. That could be either? Haven't had a chance to look under the scope to see if any have a pitted cephalon.

crinus

Here are a few more cheirurids in my collection. Let's see if I get the ID's right based on discussion so far.

C. globulobatus

post-391-0-73019500-1296578818_thumb.jpg post-391-0-87878600-1296578829_thumb.jpg

G. plattinensis

post-391-0-64563600-1296578815_thumb.jpg post-391-0-70122400-1296578822_thumb.jpg

C. haven't a clue

post-391-0-85088300-1296578825_thumb.jpg

Edited by crinus

Well played Andrew!

Here is another favorite. A huge Isotelus maximus from Mount Orab Ohio. This guy is pushing nine inches!

I have a partial of that i will post pictures of that was almost twice that size.

That is awesome! I have hunted were some big ones were found, but all I have found are crumbs of them.

Some incredible trilobites, everyone!

An interesting trilobite thread between trilobitologist, crinus and others on the Ontario asaphids and cheirurids. Certainly more research has to go into the taxa already described as well as others that may be new to science. Well preserved material and in quantity is required.

The Isotelus species and "forms" are quite interesting ... I'm certain with further research they may prove valuable in biostratigraphy and paleoenvironmental work. For instance, the types of Isotelus iowensis Owen, 1852 and Percy Raymond's 1920 species Isotelus rejuvenis should be re-examined. Suspecting that both are valid and do occur in Ontario.

Yo Bill. Yes - there are quite a few cheirurids, especially Ceraurus spp., that don't fit in with any of the described species from Ontario. Work to be done! And the asaphids are certainly another kettle of fish. The Bobcaygeon spp. are really not understood at all. I suspect that there may be 1 or 2 new species in the Bob (see cinus' photos). I sort of doubt that they agree with the types of iowensis or gigas...or playcephalus for that matter.....

What do you think of the different variations of G. plattinensis (see Crinus photos). There are some major differences, least5 of which is the posterior cephalic border flanges.......

Do you have any genera or species to add to that cheirurid list I put on the thread.....?

Is James or anybody working on Xylabion? If not, I'm going to publish! Want a joint effort?

Cheers,

Kevin

Crinus:

C. globulobatus - 1st photo is G. plattinensis, the other is OK

The next 2 are identified correct

The last trilo is C. globulobatis

It's difficult sometimes shoehorning these specimens into known species, but that's the way it will be until there are newly described forms.....

Thanks Kevin.

And yes, when is someone going to get Xylabion out. I have three. Should I post them here? James who????

crinus

Years ago, there was a fellow, James Eckert, who was thinking about writing a paper on the Xylabion. I laid off, but it's been 15 years or more. I could write the paper. Bill.... Ready to rock and roll?

Just got an email from Sam Gon II confirming my Aciculolenus palmeri will be February's featured "Trilobite of the Month" on his website A Guide to the Orders of Trilobites.

post-2629-0-56181800-1296783933_thumb.jpg This specimen is 6mm long.

Here's the link.

Dan

Edited by palaeopix

On 2/2/2011 at 9:58 PM, palaeopix said:

Just got an email from Sam Gon II confirming my Aciculolenus palmeri will be February's featured "Trilobite of the Month" on his website A Guide to the Orders of Trilobites.

Here's the link.

The photo hasn't been posted yet but it should be up soon!

Dan

What a great honor Dan! Congratulations !!! :fistbump:

Superb trilobite and a fabulous feather in your cap!

Here's the link.

The photo hasn't been posted yet but it should be up soon!

Dan

Congratulations! Dan

That's a stunning bug!!! :P

Thanks,

Scott and CAESAR, I've been looking for one of these guys since 1998, when Chatterton and Ludvigsen's paper came out! I didn't realize just how small they were, until I found one in an existing collection of mine. The photo doesn't really do the trilobite justice, but it's a start.

post-2629-0-96495700-1296784021_thumb.jpg The specimen is 6mm long.

Dan

Edited by palaeopix

Thanks,

Scott and CAESAR, I've been looking for one of these guys since 1998, when Chatterton and Ludvigsen's paper came out! I didn't realize just how small they were, until I found one in an existing collection of mine. The photo doesn't really do the trilobite justice, but it's a start.

Dan

OK, I'll ask first- how small is it? Congrats on having it featured this month

Edited by Northern Sharks

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

WTG Dan!!!:Bananasaur: :Bananasaur: :Bananasaur:

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

OK, I'll ask first- how small is it? Congrats on having it featured this month

Thanks Kevin!

The specimen shown is only 6mm long! It's one of five specimens I have in my collection and is situated on a small wafer of calcite along with another Aciculolenus and a Wujiajiania sutherlandi which is much larger!

So it's spiny but also tiny!!!!!

Dan

Here is my personal favorite, the Cybeloides iowensis from the Maquoketa formation of Northeast Iowa. After finding this bug, I was hooked on trilobites. All the spines are natural to this bug, there is no restoration. This specimen was prepped by Gerald Kloc and photographed by T.E. Whiteley

post-3840-0-73298600-1296481684_thumb.jpgpost-3840-0-85134500-1296481697_thumb.jpg

My other favorite is the Gabriceraurus sp. from the Platteville formation of Western Wisconsin. This specimen was found ventral and was flipped during prep. This specimen was also prepped by Gerald Kloc and photographed by T.E. Whiteley.

post-3840-0-79014800-1296481974_thumb.jpgpost-3840-0-33893400-1296481984_thumb.jpg

Here's a couple more bugs that I love from the Platteville Formation of Southwest Wisconsin:

Ceraurinella scofieldi

post-3840-0-92517100-1296567267_thumb.jpg

Dolichoharpes reticulata (being prepped)

post-3840-0-10637500-1296567318_thumb.jpgpost-3840-0-26329800-1296567328_thumb.jpg

Hey Caleb,

I was reading through this thread and enjoying all of the beautiful bugs and realized I hadn't commented on your amazing fossils from Wonderful Wisconsin. I previously had mentioned to you that many of your trilobites give the Canadian examples a run for the money. Your 'flipped' Gabriceraurus was the first one that came to mind actually. With Gerry Kloc's prep and Tom Whiteley's photos of it the result is what a World Class Wisconsin trilobite is supposed to look like! That combination literally places it as one of the most magnificent North American cheirurids ever ... PERIOD !!!

I'll never have one although the next best thing are your great photos of it in my photo archive. B)

Thanks again Caleb, I'm looking forward to more of your superb collection here at this thread! :)

I personally can't wait to see how that Dolichoharpes reticulata turns out. eat%20popcorn.gif

It looks pretty sweet un-prepped, so imagine it all spiffed up!!!!!:wub:

Dan

Since the last trilobite I posted was from Russia I'll add another.

The asaphids are quite a diverse group in the St. Petersburg fauna and are always

a huge favorite among collectors because of their abundance and great preservation.

Asaphus cornutus 5.5" (14cm)

post-4301-0-10005900-1296804340_thumb.jpg

Ditto with me! Wow! some exquisite and amazing trilobites from Wisconsian and Iowa!

The preservation is outstanding. I'd love to prepare some of these trilobites. They remind me of the preservation of the Haragan material. And of course most are similar genera or species that are found in southern Ontario.

Don't forget to remove the whitener (I'm assuming Magnesium chloride). It degrades over time into HCl in air. And trilobites are CaCo3. It's not a big deal, but can weaken the specimen somewhat.

Again, fantastic specimens!!!!!!

Cheers!!!!

Since the last trilobite I posted was from Russia I'll add another.

The asaphids are quite a diverse group in the St. Petersburg fauna and are always

a huge favorite among collectors because of their abundance and great preservation.

Asaphus cornutus 5.5" (14cm)

post-4301-0-10005900-1296804340_thumb.jpg

Unreplayable Scott. Your collection stars are shinning wherever and whenever they rise.

Congrats also deserve all the contributors for the superb trilos presented.

This topic is an evidence of TFF great power.

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Astrinos P. Damianakis