Sam Noble Natural History Museum Cub Scout Program -Fossils

Anna

John and I headed to Norman, Oklahoma yesterday to take part in a program the Sam Noble Museum held for Cub Scouts and Weblos. Upon completion, the scouts had earned their Geology belt loop and pin. This is an annual program--and they have similar activities for Girl Scouts.

SNNHM did an excellent job with presenting a section on geology and another on paleontology. The boys were given a geological specimen bag, and a number of rock and mineral specimens to take home. Additionally, in the paleontology section, they were able to see a number of fossils up close, as well as take a few home. They helped the boys make casts and work on identification of fossils.

To those of us who deal with fossils a lot, it might have seemed a little elementary, but John had a great time and it filled the requirement for a museum visit and interview with a scientist.

I had not thought to look into museum programs like this until someone on the forum suggested Sam Noble. (If you're not in Oklahoma, check out museums in your area for programs for kids. Those of us who don't have museums in our local area might want to encourage rock/mineral clubs to sponsor similar events.)

P1060745.jpg

John with a Saurophaganax claw.

Anna and John

SE Oklahoma

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Life is an occasion, rise to it."

--Mr. Magorium, "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium"

http://​www.johnsdiscoveries.com

Planting the seeds of wonder!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I've never met a youngster who wasn't interested in fossils.

Congratulations for your participation helping the youth.

Would be interested in hearing what some of these young

people thought about the program. I'm sure they were all

wide eyed and enjoyed the program :)

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

great museum... i've donated specimens there before

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

You know, boys will be boys. The geology portion was a little less interesting than the paleontology, except when they were given the opportunity to make a "pet rock". (At least they discussed with each one what they believed the composition of their rock to be!) John was the only Cub Scout not from the Norman pack, so he was a curiosity--from his odd NE Texas, SE Oklahoma Trails Council patch to the fact that he could immediately identify brachiopods and horn coral. The skulls and large teeth were cool, and the huge Apatosaurus on display drew rather interesting remarks.

I think I was the most proud when John was the only one to correctly identify limestone. You spend enough time in quarries, that's one thing you know!

I really like the museum--although the small Museum of the Red River in Idabel, Oklahoma is nothing to sneeze at. It is home to a cast of the Acrocanthosaurus found in McCurtain County, and a number of interesting fossils from the area, along with a large Native American collection, including a great reference collection of points and tools that are easily accessed for study.

Anna and John

SE Oklahoma

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Life is an occasion, rise to it."

--Mr. Magorium, "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium"

http://​www.johnsdiscoveries.com

Nothing like a museum in God's country, close to the campus of God's university. Boomer Sooner!

Seems like I'm ahead on our annual bet on the Red River Shootout... Looks like Jack, the fossil god of busted knuckles, has been letting you down! I know what a Sooner is, but I want to know how a sooner boomers?

Of course I have donated a large number of Permian fossils to the museum, but that's not the point!