Ammonite Identification

-Andy-

Hi all, I 've got 3 Madagascar ammonites that I have no identified totally yet. Would be nice if you guys could help.

Are all these species Cleoniceras?

post-4888-0-96119200-1329903041_thumb.jpg

post-4888-0-35145800-1329903125_thumb.jpg

post-4888-0-33684700-1329903143_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Hi Andy,

the greater polished one seems to be a kind of Phylloceras.

The little polished and uncut specimen possibly is (or should I better say "has been"? But the polished specimens are also very attractive fossils) a Pseudosonneratia (looking at the sculpture of the not smoothed inner whirls)

The cutted specimens on the left photo are also not belonging to Cleoniceras, but I´ve no idea at the moment.

Celoniceras is more flat in sculpture than those and defined by more articulated rolling ribs.

Best regards

Soenke

http://www.Der-Steinkern.de - the german fossil magazine.

The cutted specimens in the upper part of the left photo are probably Desmoceras sp., possibly Desmoceras latidorsatum, from the Albian of Madagascar.

araucaria1959

Thanks guys!

Hi Andy,

the greater polished one seems to be a kind of Phylloceras.

The little polished and uncut specimen possibly is (or should I better say "has been"? But the polished specimens are also very attractive fossils) a Pseudosonneratia (looking at the sculpture of the not smoothed inner whirls)

The cutted specimens on the left photo are also not belonging to Cleoniceras, but I´ve no idea at the moment.

Celoniceras is more flat in sculpture than those and defined by more articulated rolling ribs.

Best regards

Soenke

Phylloceras fits the big one.

Not sure which species the smaller polished one is though.

Hope more ammonite experts can come in to share their thoughts.

The cutted specimens in the upper part of the left photo are probably Desmoceras sp., possibly Desmoceras latidorsatum, from the Albian of Madagascar.

araucaria1959

You are most likely correct. A quick google search brought up images that looked identical to my ammonite.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!