Need Help

stakks

Hard to tell but it looks more like a weathered ammonite.

What looks like fins at the bottom may be ornamentation called ribs. The spiral in the center could be the outline of the umbilicus and the curved lines on the right look like septal walls. If it came from Texoma it is Cretaceous which makes it from 120million to 65 million years old.

See if you can remove some of the matrix from the center. If I'm right you'll see more ribs spaced closer together.

Edited by BobWill

It's not a fish.

I think the OP said it was found at Lake Texoma, so I don't know if there were productid brachiopods around in the Cretaceous.

I would go with badly weathered ammonite. or cross section of inoceramid clam as suggested in another of the posts.

It's not a fish, though.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It has shapes which resemble gills and a fin. When interpreting marks in stone, it is tempting to draw conclusions based on first impressions, but further critical analysis is often called for.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You may be right with fish, they have been found at Lake Texoma, but consider the possibility of a much more common fossil from there.

post-4419-0-09982000-1335114161_thumb.jpg

Notice the wavy lines at the top of your 2nd picture and compare them to the broken piece of ammonite above this ammonite. These are the septa or chamber walls inside an ammonite. Maybe that part of your fossil is worn away revealing the septa inside. Also the ribs on my ammonite are similar to ribs on a related species with ornamentation that look more like the "fins" on your fossil. Also notice the wavy spiral in the middle. If you chip away some matrix inside of that you may see the smaller closer together ribs from the inner whorls if it is an ammonite.

Edited by BobWill

Sorry, but that is not a fish.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks