Unknown Bone

Shellseeker

I am looking at some of my finds this season and a bone from last January. I could envision a raptor claw hanging off the end, but possibly not...

post-2220-0-40225300-1346006897_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-34605100-1346007085_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Possibly Sandhill Crane. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks Auspex,

I will attempt to find a photo of Sandhill Crane foot bones, either current or fossil. Did not realize the following from Wikipedia "The oldest unequivocal Sandhill Crane fossil is "just" 2.5 million years old,[8] over one and a half times older than the earliest remains of most living species of birds, which are primarily found from after the Pliocene/Pleistocene boundary some 1.8 million years ago. "

Are you reasonably sure that this is an avian bone?

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

It is the distal end of a tarsometatartus, definitively avian.

It is in scale for that of a Sandhill Crane, and though a bit roughed up, what is there is structurally consistent too.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Bird bones are hard to find!!

Thanks PF, I am pleased with it. I did not previously have an identified fossil bird bone. I have discovered that bird bones are hard to find not only in the Peace River, but also on the Internet. I have found enough tarsometatarsus bones to confirm Auspex' Identification, but not necessarily of Sandhills -- I have seen tarsometatarsus bones of seagulls, and ducks, and cuckoos, etc

It is that matter of comparative sizes that may be troublesome, especially given the rarity of the fossil

Avian osteology reference books are really hard to come by :(