A Visit To My Hillside - Finally

sward

Between a very hectic work schedule and having to take care of personal issues at home, it's been a while since I've been able to do any hunting. It's been a month or two since I've been able to get out and we've had a couple of good rains since then, so I've been chomping at the bit to go hunting. I hate it when life gets in the way of living. :angry:

Since it's been a while since I've been hunting, I felt like my soul was in need of some relaxation and rejuvination. I finally got out this afternoon to replenish my soul. It felt so good to be able to be out on a nice sunny day, listening to a distant train whistle, watching while a red tail hawk circled above me loudly calling out as if to say "...hello old friend...", watching while a vulture slowly circled above me when I stopped to take a break. It felt so good to be back out. :)

I didn't find anything wonderful, but just to be out again rejuvinated my soul.

post-6450-0-62551400-1349207961_thumb.jpg

I find similar pieces to this and I've always assumed they were just broken pieces of worm tubes. This one, however, has a very symetrical pattern to it. The pattern doesn't show that well in the pic.

post-6450-0-20064300-1349208103_thumb.jpg

An odd piece of broken "gastropod/ammonoid???"

post-6450-0-22118900-1349208183_thumb.jpgpost-6450-0-32274400-1349208221_thumb.jpg

And an assortment of shark's teeth

post-6450-0-42731200-1349208325_thumb.jpg

Edited by sward

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Could the "gastropod one" possibly be a Ammonite of some sort? What area are they from? And glad u finally made it back out. I went thru something like that a few times already! Seems to happen once a year!

Edited by fossilnoob

As a funny side-note, I got home from my "spa-day" and my wife informed me that the local police had called our house and were looking for me. She wasn't at home at the time so they sent an officer to our house. Since she wasn't home, the officer checked with our neighbors. It turned out that my wife was out with the neighbor's wife. Our neighbor called his wife and she put my wife on the phone with the police officer.

The police officer explained that they had found my truck parked on the side of a road and were performing a welfare check to make sure I was okay. My wife explained that I was just out fossil hunting and that everything was ok. The officer told her that they just wanted to make sure I was okay.

I thought it was a nice gesture on the police department's part when they found my truck and followed-up to make sure everything was okay.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

I think the second one is a razor clam? I've found a few of those around DFW myself. Would be interested in the scientific name if anyone has it. Love the teeth. They don't look like the ones I usually find in POC or the North Sulphur River though. What formation were you clunking around in?

...Love the teeth. They don't look like the ones I usually find in POC or the North Sulphur River though. What formation were you clunking around in?...

I'm at the transition from the Mainstreet Limestone and the lower Pawpaw formation.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

...I find similar pieces to this and I've always assumed they were just broken pieces of worm tubes. This one, however, has a very symetrical pattern to it. The pattern doesn't show that well in the pic.

post-6450-0-20064300-1349208103_thumb.jp...

That might be an eroded "Denture Clam" (actually an oyster).

Prime soul food ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You're lucky they didn't tow your car. Seems odd? Do the police check up on every car along the road without soneone in it? If they did that in my area all they would be doing is calling people all day :)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I always love going out to a favorite spot and see it is still producing. Nice to see most of your shark teeth are complete! That always makes for a happy day :)