Adventures In Microscopy

Missourian

Ostracods

Geisina sp.

Chanute Formation, Pennsylvanian

Clay County, Missouri

In the creek near my house, I found a bed of impure bioclastic limestone that contains abraded mollusks (bellerophontids, myalinids, Aviculopecten sp., etc.), ostracods and carbonized wood:

4180-Chanute-Geisina-scale.jpg

Under the microscope, one can make out several Geisina ostracods:

4178-Chanute-Geisina.jpg

As it turns out, they are particularly abundant in this bed.

An image of a Geisina taken with a scanning electron microscope, so you know what to look for:

geisina2.jpg

No, it's not my scope. :)

Context is critical.

Prolecanitid ammonoid

Prouddenites sp.

Muncie Creek Shale, Pennsylvanian

Kansas City metro

4245-Prouddenites-3.jpg

4238-Prouddenites-1.jpg

4212-Prouddenites-2.jpg

Context is critical.

Trilobite

Eldredgeops sp.

Devonian

Sylvania? Ohio (Where did stupid id card go?)

4321-Eldredgeops-rana.jpg

The trilobite is 19 mm in length.

Context is critical.

More ostracods from the Chanute Formation in Clay County, Missouri....

Geisina sp. again:

4391-Geisina-1.jpg

4399-Geisina-2.jpg

A perforated form, possibly Knightina sp.:

4416-Amphissites.jpg

These are all a bit less than 1 mm in length.

Context is critical.

Goniatitid ammonoid

Somoholites? sp.

Liberty Memorial Formation, Pennsylvanian

Kansas City metro

4458-Liberty-Memorial-Somoholites-1.jpg

4430-Liberty-Memorial-Somoholites-2.jpg

4444-Liberty-Memorial-Somoholites-3.jpg

Context is critical.

Goniatitid ammonoid

Schistoceras sp.

Winterset Limestone, Pennsylvanian

Jackson County, Missouri

4492-Winterset-Schistoceras-1.jpg

Close up of the siphuncle and shell ornamentation:

4499-Winterset-Schistoceras-3.jpg

Context is critical.

Orthocone cephalopod

Mooreoceras sp. or Pseudorthoceras sp.

Liberty Memorial Shale, Pennsylvanian

Clay County, Missouri

There are some intricate shell details visible:

post-6808-0-50284100-1365148589.jpg.ac598da8513cc474eed15d8451f98dda.thumb.jpg.96c065f4957cbb1b9c8baa1b58bc1edb.jpg

Under the microscope:

post-6808-0-06611400-1365232309.jpg.06c5ddaa887412b053734c025620de74.thumb.jpg.b05459609cd9608b2fc3af522287ae37.jpg

The double-layered structure of the shell is striking.

Context is critical.

Ostracod hash

Geisina sp. (and others?)

Jackson County, Missouri

4705-Winterset-ostracods-1.jpg

4685-Winterset-ostracods-2.jpg

4697-Winterset-ostracods-3.jpg

The ostracods are all a little less than a millimeter in length.

Context is critical.

Ostracods

Hollinella sp.

Jackson County, Missouri

Hollinella is the largest ostracod in the KC Pennsylvanian. They are still quite small:

4802-Winterset-Hollinella-scale.jpg

It looks like an insect head, but the entire arthropod was tucked into the bivalve shell:

4774-Winterset-Hollinella-2.jpg

From the side:

4781-Winterset-Hollinella-3.jpg

Close up of surface detail:

4751-Winterset-Hollinella-1.jpg

Hollinella is usually found in shallow-water bioclastic limestones. These two were found in an oolitic bioclastite.

Context is critical.

In case you're wondering, here's what living ostracods look like....

Ostracod-pair.jpg

spelaeoecia_600.jpg

Ostracod.JPG

Context is critical.

Undetermined in concretion

Liberty Memorial Shale, Pennsylvanian

Clay County, Missouri

4825-Liberty-undet-1.jpg

4834-Liberty-undet-2.jpg

I thought this could be fish material, but under magnification, it appears to be shelly or even chitinous. The concretion is 12 mm in length.

Context is critical.

Arenaceous forams

"Bourbon Flags", Pleasanton Group, Pennsylvanian

Linn County, Kansas

The dense, massive limestone bed has a profusion of forams, but not much else. Getting a decent sample was quite difficult:

4788-Pleasanton-forams-1.jpg

I can't discern any specific genera. All tests seem to be irregular 'knots':

4736-Pleasanton-forams-2.jpg

Up close:

4853-Pleasanton-forams-3.jpg

Context is critical.

Pretty amazing set of pics!!!! I have been looking at them for at least an hour now!

Jean

JeanB

Montreal, QC, Canada

Ordovician, Trenton group

On 4/26/2013 at 7:23 PM, JeanB said:

Pretty amazing set of pics!!!! I have been looking at them for at least an hour now!

Jean

Thanks. I think I've been looking at them for at least an hour too. :)

Context is critical.

Forams

Glyphostomella sp.

Argentine Limestone, Pennsylvanian

Johnson County, Kansas

These 1-mm forams can be recognized by script-like markings on the surface:

5087-Argentine-Glyphostomella-3.jpg

The same piece from a different angle:

5101--Argentine-Glyphostomella-4.jpg

The thing with polka-dots is a perforated ostracod. A second Glyphostomella can be seen on the left.

Another Glyphostomella:

5079-Argentine-Glyphostomella-2.jpg

Glyphostomella again, with an ostracod to its left:

5062-Argentine-Glyphostomella-1.jpg

As you can tell, this limestone is quite prolific in high-quality forams and ostracods (and likely other things). A few years ago, I collected a boxful of the stuff. Someday, I'll bust through it and see what turns up.

• I found this Informative 1

Context is critical.

Fantastic photos. Thanks for sharing. Very cool!

Not sure if you know this or not but instead of just a tap to focus if you continue holding instead of just a tap you can initiate AE/AF (auto exposure/auto lock) which will help tremendously. Basically, instead of the camera refocusing if you slightly move it locks in the focus and exposure at that point. It works great for any macro photos as it is very hard to hold your iPhone completely still even when resting it on the top of microscope. There are also a number of snap on macro lenses you can use for your iPhone for in the field photos. Hope this helps and again, great job!

On 5/1/2013 at 8:18 PM, missingdigits said:

Not sure if you know this or not but instead of just a tap to focus if you continue holding instead of just a tap you can initiate AE/AF (auto exposure/auto lock) which will help tremendously. Basically, instead of the camera refocusing if you slightly move it locks in the focus and exposure at that point. It works great for any macro photos as it is very hard to hold your iPhone completely still even when resting it on the top of microscope.

Thanks for the tip. I'd wished I had a third hand to tap the screen (one holds the camera, while the other is used to snap the photo). :)

Context is critical.

Thanks for the tip. I'd wished I had a third hand to tap the screen (one holds the camera, while the other is used to snap the photo). :)

No third hand needed! Once you tap and hold to initiate AE/AF (it will say AE/AF Lock) on bottom of screen. Then simply take your photo as normal. It really does work and this is precisely what it was designed for. Just give it a try on anything up close before you try on your microscope. You will see what I am talking about. Let me know how it works out.

Jamie

PS. It helps to have grid turned on so you focus directly on the lens.

Edited by missingdigits

On 5/1/2013 at 9:13 PM, missingdigits said:

No third hand needed! Once you tap and hold to initiate AE/AF (it will say AE/AF Lock) on bottom of screen. Then simply take your photo as normal. It really does work and this is precisely what it was designed for. Just give it a try on anything up close before you try on your microscope. You will see what I am talking about. Let me know how it works out.

Jamie

PS. It helps to have grid turned on so you focus directly on the lens.

Yeah, I already tried it on a character on my black keyboard (I'm at work right now). :)

Context is critical.

Yeah, I already tried it on a character on my black keyboard (I'm at work right now). :)

So did the spontaneous joy of this golden discovery make you soil yourself at work and cause massive embarrassment on the job? I am terribly sorry if this is indeed the case.....

:hearty-laugh:

No, I can embarrass and soil myself at work without any golden discoveries.... :)

Sorry about the confusion.... I tend to think two or three steps ahead and then blurt something out without providing a little background. :) By 'character' on my 'black keyboard', I was referring to the little white 'window' on the black key (Dell keyboard) that brings up the start menu. The iPhone annoyingly overexposes white areas surrounded by darker ones (I really had fits with the conodonts on black shale posted on the first page in this thread). I tried the AE/AF Lock on the key, and it worked like a charm.

Context is critical.

No, I can embarrass and soil myself at work without any golden discoveries.... :)

Sorry about the confusion.... I tend to think two or three steps ahead and then blurt something out without providing a little background. :) By 'character' on my 'black keyboard', I was referring to the little white 'window' on the black key (Dell keyboard) that brings up the start menu. The iPhone annoyingly overexposes white areas surrounded by darker ones (I really had fits with the conodonts on black shale posted on the first page in this thread). I tried the AE/AF Lock on the key, and it worked like a charm.

RIght on. I was trying to be funny, sorry. I have noticed this problem too of overexposure but rectify it with auto-locking on an area that shows proper exposure that is actually outside of what you want to focus on. For macro shots the focus is the same when you use AE/AF lock. If you try AE/AF and it looks bad (you will know when you lock it in if it's overexposed or not- as you know) simply tap and hold to another darker area outside of the main focal point. It will adjust and you get a sort of "preview" as to how it will look as you are auto locking it. I am terribly sorry if this sounds convoluted or you already know this. Most people don't and it's a great feature.

Jamie

On 5/1/2013 at 9:56 PM, missingdigits said:

RIght on. I was trying to be funny, sorry. I have noticed this problem too of overexposure but rectify it with auto-locking on an area that shows proper exposure that is actually outside of what you want to focus on. For macro shots the focus is the same when you use AE/AF lock. If you try AE/AF and it looks bad (you will know when you lock it in if it's overexposed or not- as you know) simply tap and hold to another darker area outside of the main focal point. It will adjust and you get a sort of "preview" as to how it will look as you are auto locking it. I am terribly sorry if this sounds convoluted or you already know this. Most people don't and it's a great feature.

Jamie

No need to apologize for humor. :)

As for the AE/AF trick, I'll soon try it out on some amazing white Ammovertella forams in darkish-gray limestone that I'd just noticed in my collection.

Context is critical.

Fish (or tetrapod) bone detail

Muncie Creek Shale, Pennsylvanian

Kansas City metro

5419-Muncie-bone-3.jpg

5437-Muncie-bone-1.jpg

5456-Muncie-bone-2.jpg

5442-Muncie-bone-3.jpg

For a lack of a proper name, I've nicknamed these 'chicken bones'.

Context is critical.