Pennsylvanian Fire Nodule

fowells

post-1901-0-55298500-1357323090_thumb.jpgpost-1901-0-34837600-1357323459_thumb.jpg

We had a big rain last week so I decided to go to a well known site in Runaway Bay to see what had been newly exposed.

Found some nice examples of the normal stuff and then caught sight of something I thought at first was a piece of glittery, foily trash. On closer inspection, it turned out to be an otherwise normal reddish limonite nodule on the outside with beautiful fire on the inside.

I used 2 cameras trying to get a photo of what I was seeing. The cellphone camera just would not show any color - that photo is just to show scale (that's a 24 oz coffee cup lid) and some of the other stuff I found out there. The other camera picked up some color but still doesn't do it justice.

It was cold and I headed back to the truck when my boots weighed 12 lbs.

The nodules of Lake Bridgeport never cease to surprise and delight. I've found them with all manner of interesting interiors, but I never expected to encounter the Schiller Effect on a hunt for Pennsylvanian fossils.

Neat nodule! The fiery material resembles the prismic display of fossil aragonite; does it appear that there may be some shell there?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

been there many times... fun playground! you did well

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Auspex,

There was no evidence of any fossil in this nodule. I'll look at it again with a glass and confirm.

Thanks, danwoehr.

It's got to be a piece of aragonite shell (not a complete recognizable shell, just a piece), I'm not sure if there is any other process that something like this would form.. anybody?