Show Your Fossil Pinecones

PRK

About ten years ago, Argentina put a ban on exportation of the fabulous jurassic Araucaria pinecones. can anyone here show us their personal piece, they were lucky enough to acquire before the ban?

Or. How bout ANY fossil pinecones? edit: in your collection.

Edited by PRK

I had one many years ago from Fifteen Mile Creek near Tiger Mountain and Issaquah, Washington. I was collecting amber when I found the cone, with tiny pieces of amber. It was stolen during a move when the house was unoccupied and before I had even heard of digital cameras. I loathe thieves. :angry:

Edited by CH4ShotCaller

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

I hate that!!! An impulse heist. They're Interested for a couple days then, ----------------------?

Edited by PRK

I've seen pinecones, I'm interested in self collected, or at least cones in your own collection!

I've seen pinecones, I'm interested in self collected, or at least cones in your own collection!

The fossils I posted are all in my collection and I personally collected the Oregon cones.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Wow cool! That's what I like . How can you stand to not cut those nice fat Araucaria. I couldn't do it!!! Thank you pi

Edited by PRK

That's a sweeet collection!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Sorry. but I would just like to see specimens already in members collections. im not lookin to buy. Actually I don't buy fossils anyway.

Edited by PRK

That's it? I thought this was a good Thread!! Araucaria

'Tis, but it's been done: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I take it there are no araucaria you all want to share. So here are a few cones ive collected at my new Oligocene insect locale. They are part of my Oligocene seed collection from that locale

post-9950-0-75166500-1364074735_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

Not sur

That's it? I thought this was a good Thread!! Araucaria

Not surprising in the current climate of we'll seize it, you prove it's legal, but if you try we'll hammer you down.

So why have it? If you can't share it? Anyway, I know for a fact, governments don't have the money or time for small potatuz.( uh, pinecones)

Edited by PRK

I've never been able to afford to buy never mind find any of those Araucaria on my own...

I have only ever found (locally) the few cones I posted on that other thread. I see I also have a couple seeds from some kind of cones from McAbee and Driftwood Canyon, not sure if they're worth posting.. guess seeds are much more common than cones

Those Olig. ones are very nice, btw!

Edited by Wrangellian

Does anybody here identify seed types? Ill show a few from the Oligocene if you like! I sure,don't know what they are.

Edited by PRK

Does anybody here identify seed types? Ill show a few from the Oligocene if you like! I sure,don't know what they are.

We can certainly try.... ready to go with a few excellent ID books in hand.... emo71.gif

Hi PRK,

Great finds but they are a bit puzzling to me. The split pair in the middle of photo 2 could be Betula or Ulmus. The large one above the split pair might be the infructescence of Alnus or Platanus. The unexpected prize in the group is the fossil in photo 1. That one appears to be a fruiting body calyx with anthers and filaments (stamens) still attached.

post-4301-0-60806100-1364149197_thumb.jpg

One of my unusual Oligocene finds is this fossil seed pod: Cladrastis oregonensis.... literally two peas in a pod! :P

post-4301-0-35438400-1364149394_thumb.jpg

Meyer, H. W., & Manchester, S. R. (1997)
The Oligocene Bridge Creek flora of the John Day Formation, Oregon.
University of California Press. 195 pp. 75 pl.
  • I found this Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Scott- here's another unusual oligocene seed. Outstretched it would be approx 4in. Any ideas? I also found a small type that looks very similar but only about 3/4 inch?

post-9950-0-04001500-1364868492_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

Hi Scott- here's another unusual oligocene seed. Outstretched it would be approx 4in. Any ideas? I also found a small type that looks very similar but only about 3/4 inch?

• image.jpg

Hi Paul,

The curved item appears to be a single needle of Pinus johndayensis with the fascicle sheath still attached. The other noteworthy specimen is very similar to the fruit-capsule valve of Craigia oregonensis. Congrats on all of your great fossil flora from the Oligocene of Oregon! happy0144.gif

post-4301-0-31331300-1364878908_thumb.jpg

post-4301-0-84965000-1364878888_thumb.jpg

Oh no, they are not from Oregon. They are from the new insect locale I collected back in the '90s

Oh no, they are not from Oregon. They are from the new insect locale I collected back in the '90s

I was confused with a few other fossils you have mentioned previously.

Pinus and a Craigia-like fruit-capsule valve are correct IDs in any event.

In the future please remember to include locality info with ID requests!

Actually Scott- the plants and insects I show are all from this same locale, and I always indicate otherwise. Please excuse the confusion.

Actually Scott- the plants and insects I show are all from this same locale, and I always indicate otherwise. Please excuse the confusion.

Haha.... no worries sir! I just mixed up a few of your Oregon exploits when I looked at these. Since we are in the Florissant flora the curved item still appears to be a single needle of Pinus with the fascicle sheath still attached. This time we have P. macginitiei.... luckily a nice example is figured in the book: The Fossils of Florissant by Herb Meyer.

post-4301-0-16431900-1364885279_thumb.jpg