Show Us Your Pink Fossils!

masonboro37

I know kind of girly, I suppose. I am just curious how many fossils are out there which have a hue of pink......I have come across one echinoid which is pink/rose from the Rocky Point quarry, NC: Eocene. I can not find in my fossil room. It is somewhere tucked away. The ribbed oyster is the Belgrade Formation, NC: Late Oligocene. :)

Libby

post-7899-0-07736300-1365811117_thumb.jpg

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

terrific color Libby! Not sure if I have any pink fossils, I will be looking now... :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

The closest I can come is "Manley Pink", also known as brown...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The closest I can come is "Manley Pink", also known as brown...

Haha, thanks Chas! brown is good, with a touch of rose.......... ;)

terrific color Libby! Not sure if I have any pink fossils, I will be looking now... :)

Ok!

I thought this was related to a breast cancer awareness thing lol...I think the closest thing I have to any FOSSILS that are pink is a rock containing some corals with a purple blotch on it that I have yet to identify.

I thought this was related to a breast cancer awareness thing lol...I think the closest thing I have to any FOSSILS that are pink is a rock containing some corals with a purple blotch on it that I have yet to identify.

That is a good thought on the matter. Just curious about other pinky looking specimens out there. I have seen ammonites which have a pinkish hue. :)

Edited by masonboro37

I got some.... :)

post-6808-0-06072700-1365817033_thumb.jpg

post-6808-0-94895500-1365817030_thumb.jpg

Close up of the slab above:

post-6808-0-13660300-1365817035_thumb.jpg

These are all hash from the Pennsylvanian Middle Creek Limestone in Kansas City, Missouri.

Context is critical.

I got some.... :)

attachicon.gif137-Middle-Creek-hash-4.jpg

attachicon.gif127-Middle-Creek-hash-2.jpg

Close up of the slab above:

attachicon.gif1765-Rhombopora-epifauna.jpg

These are all hash from the Pennsylvanian Middle Creek Limestone in Kansas City, Missouri.

Thank you! I hoped there where some pinkish fossils out there! The hash plates are beautiful. The pink hue is awesome! Interesting how the bryozoa is such a dark pink....

Edited by masonboro37

Thank you! I hoped there where some pinkish fossils out there! The hash plates are beautiful. The pink hue is awesome! Interesting how the bryozoa is such a dark pink....

I like the color too, but unfortunately it is pretty rare. The fossils are usually steel-blue or gray.

Also, it's really interesting how the bryozoans and chonetid brachiopods in these slabs are pink, while the other brachs are more of a neutral gray. It must have something to do with Fe-oxide deposits within the shell structure.

Context is critical.

I like the color too, but unfortunately it is pretty rare. The fossils are usually steel-blue or gray.

Also, it's really interesting how the bryozoans and chonetid brachiopods in these slabs are pink, while the other brachs are more of a neutral gray. It must have something to do with Fe-oxide deposits within the shell structure.

I am going to research this tonight. I have wondered about the pink echi I have somewhere in my fossil room mess and the oyster. What causes this pink hue shall be a new search for me. I agree with you, there must be something to do with the deposits. These pink fossils are not often.

Libby

Just read about bacteria and the possible causes of fossil coloration. Interesting!

it is a teeny stretch (and me a painter), but here are some Shark Tooth Hill beauties from Scylla :)

post-4577-0-13840500-1365819855_thumb.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

These Bythopora bryozoans are sort of pinkish.

post-3350-0-48559700-1365823422_thumb.jpg

More reddish really... :P

Edited by TMNH

This has a ' pink section ' of a couple of chambers on the lower section of the ammonite....apparently I was told one theory is the shell could of been damaged or cracked at this point prior or during fossilisation and the iron stone it was contained in stained the calcite crystals to some degree....Its ' propper pink '...

post-1630-0-25942700-1365835827_thumb.jpg

Edited by Terry Dactyll

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Here you have a vew from bakersfield and venice.

And also a nice flower for this nice topic :D

Wow. Is that last one a shark tooth covered with coralline algae?

Context is critical.

The closest thing to pink hue that I have: a chunk of dinosaur bone with some agatization:

post-10857-0-40317400-1365859563_thumb.pngpost-10857-0-19565600-1365859572_thumb.pngpost-10857-0-27357900-1365859579_thumb.png

Though, it doesn't look so pink and colorful if not wet. The pics were taken when it was wet.

Wow. Is that last one a shark tooth covered with coralline algae?

Yes it is a littel megalodon tooth :meg dance: :meg dance:

See Xray photo's

post-4937-0-17932600-1365860239_thumb.jpg

post-4937-0-26904700-1365860247_thumb.jpg

post-4937-0-22975300-1365860254_thumb.jpg

post-4937-0-74148400-1365860262_thumb.jpg

Edited by erik m

it is a teeny stretch (and me a painter), but here are some Shark Tooth Hill beauties from Scylla :)

Those are beautiful....almost a pale pink hue. :)

These Bythopora bryozoans are sort of pinkish.

attachicon.gifBythopora_resized.jpg

More reddish really... :P

Hi TMNH, I sure like the bryozoan! What a deep orangey pink. Love them!

Here you have a vew from bakersfield and venice.

And also a nice flower for this nice topic :D

Hello Erik,

Bakersfield and Venice sure yield some beauties. The encrusted meg is spectacular and the water lily is so pretty. Thanks you for sharing. :)

This has a ' pink section ' of a couple of chambers on the lower section of the ammonite....apparently I was told one theory is the shell could of been damaged or cracked at this point prior or during fossilisation and the iron stone it was contained in stained the calcite crystals to some degree....Its ' propper pink '...

attachicon.giffossil006.jpg

Hi ya Terry Dactyll! Now that is an impressive and stunning ammonite. The suture's are splendid and the hue gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

An interesting pink Orthoceras from Sweden -

attachicon.gif060 (3).JPG

Regards,

Kosmoceras, I like it! I have not seen that before and thank you for showing it! Almost a salmon pink.